Northern Mich~Mash Preserve
  • HOME
  • People
    • Chief Petoskey
    • Dr. Dean Burns Family
    • Al Gerhart
    • Siebert Family & The Russian Swamp
    • Trumbull White
  • Places
    • *Petoskey >
      • Businesses
      • "The Hole" "The Pit" "PDP"
      • "The Hole" ~ Second Coming?
      • Hotels
      • Mayors (& Presidents) of Petoskey
      • Michigan Maple Block Co
      • Mitchell Street was a Dead End
      • Parking
      • Parks & Recreation
      • Waterfront & Steamers/Ships
      • Winter Sports Parks
    • Advance
    • Alanson
    • Bay Harbor (Cement Plant)
    • Bay Shore
    • Bay View
    • Beaver Island
    • Bliss ~ Cross Village ~ Good Hart ~ Middle Village ~ Tunnel of Trees
    • Boyne City
    • Boyne Falls
    • Brutus
    • Carp Lake
    • Charlevoix
    • Conway ~ Oden ~ Ponshewaing (Crooked Lake)
    • East Jordan
    • Epsilon
    • Harbor Springs
    • Horton Bay
    • Ironton
    • Kegomic
    • Levering
    • Mackinaw City >
      • Mackinac Bridge
    • Page
    • Pellston
    • Roaring Brook
    • Walloon Lake
    • Wequetonsing
  • PUBLICLY SPEAKING
    • Airports >
      • SRE/ARFF
    • Ambulance/EMS
    • Bay Bluffs
    • Bids & AECOM
    • BONDS
    • Budget
    • Crooked River and Lock
    • Elections
    • Emmet County Road Commission
    • Environment (Pipelines)
    • Fairgrounds
    • Health Department
    • Historical Commission
    • Housing
    • Tourism ~ Marketing & Boat Shows
    • NLEA
    • Organization
    • Parks and Recreation >
      • Forestry & Timber
      • Headlands
      • McGulpin Lighthouse
      • Petosega
      • Skillagalee Island
      • Waugoshance > White Shoal > Grays Reef
    • Personnel
    • Planning [?} the Future
    • Property (Wheelway)
    • Public Transit
    • Security & Records
    • Sheriff & Jail (Law) & Safety
    • Sloop Welcome
    • Taxes & Funds
    • Various
    • Wages
  • Things
    • ANSWERS & QUESTIONS
    • Area Airstrips and Pilots
    • Art & Authors
    • Bridges & Dams >
      • Lake Street Bridge ~ City Buildings Nearby
      • Lake Street Dam
      • McManus and/or Bridge Street Bridge
      • McManus Dam
      • MItchell Street Bridge
      • Mitchell Dam
      • Oden Island Bridge
      • Penstock Dam
      • Shaw & McMillan Hankey Dam and Cable Mills
      • Sheridan Street Bridge
      • Standish Avenue Bridge
    • Bypasses & Roadways
    • Changes Over Time
    • Churches
    • Elements of Nature
    • Farms
    • Flora & Fauna
    • Food ~ Cooking Related
    • History Hanging in the Balance ~ Petoskey 1952 Centennial
    • Ice Sculptures
    • In The Air
    • Language Lore
    • Libraries
    • Little Traverse Bay Crucifix
    • Medical & Health
    • MISCELLANEOUS
    • Murals
    • Music
    • Old Houses
    • Places To Stay
    • Post Offices
    • Railroads
    • Schools >
      • Central and Gym
      • Harbor Springs
      • Holy Childhood of Jesus School
      • Lincoln
      • Melrose
      • NCMC
      • Normal School
      • Ottawa
      • Petoskey High/Jr/Middle
      • Resort
      • Sheridan
      • St. Francis
    • Signs & Window Displays
    • SOURCES *
    • Theatres
    • Vehicles & Bicycles
    • Water
    • Windmills

Northern Mich~Mash Preserve

~ SCHOOLS ~
Including...
"RURAL and ONE-ROOM SCHOOLS"
LISTED BELOW...

The more often you share what you have learned,
the stronger that information will become in your memory.
​~ Steve Brunkhorst

The design and compilation of the text and photos on this site are copyrighted 2017.
Most posted items will enlarge by "clicking" on them.
"Clicking" on some color highlighted words may access additional information.
Please do not copy the photos on this site, many of which have been submitted by private individuals...
just come back and visit the site often to view the photos.



1852
Petoskey's Original Porter Mission School

Picture
1 January 1952 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
17 May 1951 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
6 December 1951 ~ Northern Michigan Review
c labeled as "Mission School in 1854"
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (1854)
Picture
3 January 1952 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Photo/Text Above: This FIRST Petoskey School replica in a photo posted in the 1952 Petoskey Centennial as referenced above may be seen with Shirley Bifoss standing beside it by clicking HERE.
The Passenger Pigeon, the Summer 1990 Newsletter from the Little Traverse Historical Society, described the location of the Mission Farm and School...  A road branched off from Ingall’s store and home on the corner of Ingalls and Charlevoix avenues, and led up the hill to the Mission House and Porter School established by Rev. Andrew Porter many years before…  as “where Inn on the Hill and MESC office are now located.” In 2020  those businesses of that location off Porter and Spring streets are Days Inn by Wyndham Petoskey and the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians Department of Human Services at 911 Spring Street, Petoskey, Michigan.

Knowing the location of the Porter School as described above, and the fact that Earnest Priebe owned the land of the Jarman Farm and Porter School in 1951, explains why Mr. Priebe as noted in the clipping above, was razing the old school; but also was preserving the essence of the school by building a miniature of the Porter School. Where is that model now? Mr. Priebe built a housing development on that property called Priebe Acres, right next to Curtis Park. Click HERE to contact the web master with any information about the model school house please.

1855 Sketch
"Mission School Among the Indians at Porter's Village, Mich. Established A.D. 1852
Andrew 'Andy' Porter. Teacher. Sketched 1855"

Picture
Little Traverse Historical Museum Photo Archive
Article Below:
Father Andrew Porter, who established a Mission School on the south side of Little Traverse Bay,
​passed away in 1899.
Picture
15 February 1899 ~ The Petoskey Record article continued right column...
Picture
15 February 1899 ~ The Petoskey Record article continued from left column...

1874
​FIRST Public School House between Lake and Bay Streets
Picture
D.A.R. Year Book 1913-1914 Petosega Chapter
Picture
D.A.R. Year Book 1913-1914 Petosega Chapter
Charles J. Pailthorp was attributed as being a member of the school board,
assisting in the organization of the first grade-school in Petoskey in 1875.
Click HERE to access a very thorough record of Rachel Oakley's time of education in Petoskey.
Undated Clipping Below: "The FIRST school established (in Petoskey) was in the later part of 1874, and was taught by Mrs. R. Alley (Oakley) in a little board shanty that stood near where the barn now stands in the rear of the Shirk block. This building served the purpose of school, church and public hall, up to the fall of 1875 when the Howard Street school house was erected, just one half of its present size."
Picture
Clipping Undated
Clipping Below: Reported that in November of 1874 Mrs. R. Alley was the teacher the first term of public school at Petoskey; located north of west Lake Street in the rear of where the livery stable stood in 1882.
Picture
23 November 1882 ~ Petoskey City Record
Picture
20 January 1885 ~ The Northern Independent
Picture
Undated newspaper clipping of Mrs. Oakley found in the scrapbook of teacher Frances Pailthorp...
FIRST Teacher of
Petoskey's FIRST Public School...

The 24 December 1910 Petoskey Evening News obituary for Mrs. Rachel Oakley stated: "At the age of sixteen, Rachel Terrill became the wife of Arthur Oakley. In 1869, they moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan, at which place Mrs. Oakley made her home until the year 1874 when she came to Petoskey, then a small settlement. There were then no schools for white children in the region, but Mrs. Oakley organized and taught such an institution in a small board house, which the men of the neighborhood prepared, hauling the timber from a long distance." Mrs. Rachel Oakley Alley is credited with organizing the FIRST public school of Petoskey, 18 November 1874. The Mission's Porter School had closed in 1871.
Picture
1 July 1885 ~ The Petoskey Record
Picture
4 August 1886 ~ The Petoskey Record
Referencing Article Above for Elizabeth Alberta Oakley Chrysler "Libbie A. Oakley, daughter of Mrs. R. Alley": Click HERE to access additional information Elizabeth Alberta Oakly Chrysler
as presented and posted on the Greenwood History Archive website.
Picture
24 December 1910 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Click HERE to access additional information about Rachel Oakley Alley
​on the Greenwood Cemetery website.
Picture
14 September 1984 ~ Petoskey News Review

Clipping Below: In 1878 in Petoskey on Railroad Avenue, in her residence, Mrs. E. Ganouug started a school.
Picture
19 December 1878 ~ Petoskey City Record

Picture
25 April 1877 ~ Emmet County Democrat
1895
Petoskey School Faculty gathered at the Summer House (Pagoda) 

located in the Cushman Park (Now Pennsylvania Park)...
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (1895)
Picture
Book Edited and Published by The Petoskey and Emmet County Improvement Association (1910)
1907
Emmet County School District Statistics
Picture
3 April 1907 ~ The Petoskey Record
About 1908

Miss Ethel Shepard retired from teaching in 1953 after a period of 45 years; teaching and supervision in Resort, Pleasantview, Alanson, Harbor Springs and Petoskey. Ethel had stated that her greatest reward for her years of teaching in Emmet County Schools was the honor and affection her students had given her through the years. She had kept a large scrapbook of servicemen she had taught and said as close as she could tell, she had taught 262 students who went on to serve in the armed forces of WWII. She had carried on a regular correspondence with 33 of her "former boys" throughout the war years. She was the FIRST woman to be awarded by the Scenic Trails Council, Boy Scouts, for her youth work. She went from teaching in one-room schools to being the head of the entire elementary program in Petoskey. She even fought a fire for 48 hours which surrounded the Kniesley School and her boarding place about 1915. 
Picture
31 August 1963 ~ Petoskey News Review
1952
Emmet County rural schools total 516 enrollment. 
Largest rural school was McKinley No. 2 at Levering with 126 pupils.
Smallest rural school was Readmond with nine students.

Picture
14 September 1952 ~ Petoskey Evening News

Click below to access: PARTICULAR SCHOOLS OF INTEREST...

CENTRAL AND GYM
HARBOR SPRINGS
HOLY CHILDHOOD OF JESUS SCHOOL
LINCOLN
MELROSE (Clarion dissolved when it merged with Melrose)
NCMC
NORMAL SCHOOL
OTTAWA
PETOSKEY HIGH/JR/MIDDLE
SHERIDAN
ST. FRANCIS


~ OTHER Emmet County Schools ~
(Most are non-existent as schools in 2018)
PHOTOS are posted in alphabetical order toward the bottom of this same web page under
"RURAL and ONE-ROOM SCHOOLS"
Alanson (Littlefield Township) (Maple River Township in the early 1880s)
Ayr (Maple River OR? Pleasantview Township on corner of US 31 and Brutus Road - North Ayr School on North
      Conway Road, near Tower 1878)
Blackman (Stutsmanville)
Bliss Township (Three Schools with Levering addresses - South Bliss, East Bliss, West Bliss)
     South - Corner of Pleasant View Road and Sturgeon Bay Trail
     East - Corner of Sturgeon Bay Trail and Cassidy Road (Luesing School)
     West - Corner of Sturgeon Bay Trail and West Bliss Road
Botsford (Resort Township)
Bradley School (Readmond Township)
Brutus (Maple River No. 1)
Canby (Bliss Township on corner of Canby and Levering roads)
Carpenter (Resort Township on Horton Bay Road)
Carp Lake (Carp Lake Township 6187 East Gill Road)
Cecil Bay (Carp Lake Township on Cecil Bay Road)
Cement Plant School (AKA Maplewood)
Conway (Little Traverse Township)
Crapo (Friendship Township)
Cross Village (Cross Village Township)
Cross Village St. Francis (Father Weikamp's school)
Curtiss (Springvale Township on Corner of Ellsworth and Pickerel Lake roads)
Depew (Resort Township Resort Pike South of Depew Road)
Edgewater (Bear Creek Township)
Ely
Epsilon (Springvale Township about 7 miles east of Petoskey on Mitchell Road ~ Mentor Dist. No. 3)
Fenimore
(Resort Township on South-East Corner of Sheridan and Eppler roads)
Ferti or Ferdy? (Readmond Township on Corner of Beckon and Larks Lake roads)
Fletcher (Bear Creek Township)
Folgelsonger (Later known as Morford School located on Resort Pike, east of School Road)
Fonger (Carp Lake Township)
Four Mile (Bear Creek Township)
Five Mile Creek (West Traverse Township between Five Mile Creek and Middle roads on M-119 Hwy)
Friendship Township (Four Schools)
Gallagher (Pleasantview Township)
Garber (Bliss Township)
Garver (Friendship Township)
Good Hart (Readmond Township on Robinson Road)
Gray/Grey Hill (Springvale Township)
Greenwood (Bear Creek Township)
Gregg School (corner of Intertown and Resort Pike?)
Greg School (#2 unidentified School toward bottom of this web page. Greg with ONE G at the end???)
Gridley (Resort Township)
Gulley School (Near Cross Village)
Hathaway (Little Traverse Township)
Hebron (Carp Lake Township with a Mackinaw City address)
Hedrick (Little Traverse Township)
Henderson (Resort Township in 1902)
Hilltop (Bear Creek Township)
Huddleston (1/2 mile north of Jureks Meat Market on Pleasantview Road C 81 Hwy in Center Township)
Island View (Readmond Township on Vorce Road)
Indian Garden (Friendship Township)
Joy (Springvale Township on Maxwell Road)
Kilborn (Bear Creek Township)
Kniesley School
Kramer
Lark's (Center Township Larks Lake Road between Melody Lane and Robinson Road)
Lester (Pleasantview Township)
Levering Schools
Little Red (Pleasantview Township)
Linehan (Pleasantview Township North Conway Road 1877)
Maple Grove (Bear Creek Township)
Maplewood (Resort Township ~ Corner old Hwy 31 and Townsend Road ~ sometimes called Cement School)
​McKinley Township Unit School 1
Minnehaha (Springvale Township Pickerel Lake Road)
      Church in later years    
Morford (Resort Township on Resort Pike east of School Road) was previously known as Fogelsonger School.
​Murray School (near Bay Shore... which is on the boundary between Emmet and Charlevoix counties)
Oden (Maple River Township... LATER: Littlefield Township)
Pleasantview Center (Pleasantview Township)
Porter Mission School
Reasoner (Springvale Township)
"Little" Red ( Maple River Township Four miles NE of Ayr School, near junction of Johnson and Red School roads)
Resort Township (Townsend Road)
Rose
Round Lake (Center Township Beckon Road)
Schmalzried – First called Grant School when on Sam Grant's property. Name changed when moved across road to
       George Schmalzried's property.      
Sogonosh Valley (Readmond Township on State Road)
​Sommers
Sterley (Readmond Township)
Stutsmanville (Friendship Township on corner of Stutsmanville and State roads)
Sunny Ridge (Pleasantview Township one mile south and 1 1/2 miles east of the Ayr corner-relocated later)
Tucker
​Van
Vorce (Readmond Township)
Wabmeme (Bear Creek Township)
Warner (Friendship Township)
West Traverse Township ~ Five MIle Creek
Whitaker/Whittaker (Friendship Township on Stutsmanville Road)
Woodland (Maple River OR? Pleasantview Township)



The following webpage has photos and descriptions of some of the Emmet County schools listed above.
Michigan One Room Schoolhouses

The following webpage has photos and descriptions of early school houses in
The History of Brutus and Maple River Township by Maurice Eby



Judge C.J. Pailthorp was a member of the school board,
assisting in the organization of the FIRST grade school in Petoskey 1875.


Picture
The Traverse Region ~ 1884
1889
Petoskey Kindergarten to be held in the Petrie House
Click HERE to access additional 
information and photos of the Petrie House.
Picture
14 August 1889 ~ The Petoskey Record
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
1907
Picture
27 March 1907 ~ The Petoskey Record
1918
Picture
9 February 1918 ~ Petoskey Evening News

1937-8 & 1939
List of teachers for the Rural Schools listed above...

Picture
10 June 1937 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
19 January 1939 ~ Petoskey Evening News
1939
Students of 18 Rural Schools of Emmet County Enjoy Field Day Together
Article below notes various rural schools and students.

Picture
4 May 1939 ~ Emmet County Graphic article section 1 continued below left...
Picture
4 May 1939 ~ Emmet County Graphic article section 2 continued below...
Picture
4 May 1939 ~ Emmet County Graphic article section 4 continued below...
Picture
4 May 1939 ~ Emmet County Graphic article section 3 continued above right...
Picture
4 May 1939 ~ Emmet County Graphic article seciont 5 continued from above...
Picture
14 August 1913 ~ The Petoskey Record

Picture
28 February 1935 ~ Northern Michigan Shoppers Guide

Picture
2 July 1938 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
1 July 1938 ~ Petoskey Evening News

1939 ~ Fletch Johnson started his school bus system
​for Petoskey School District.
Picture
24 October 1980 ~ Petoskey News Review
1940 ~ School Heads Lila Hannibal of Kegomic and
​Miss May E. Blanchard in commissioner's office
Picture
1 August 1940 ~ Emmet County Graphic
1941 ~ School Bus Purchase Effects on Rural Schools
Picture
22 May 1941 ~ Emmet County Graphic continued column right...
Picture
22 May 1941 ~ Emmet County Graphic continued from left column...

1945 ~ Blanchard Appointed School Commissioner
Photo/Text Below: Mr. and Mrs. HIram Starmer, quietly spent their 60th wedding anniversary at the home of their daughter Mrs. Bruce Blanchard (photo/text at right).The Starmers had seven daughters and "All were school teachers except one," boasted Mr. Starmer.
Picture
5 February 1953 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
28 June 1945 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
31 July 1984 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
31 July 1984 ~ Petoskey News Review

1946 ~ Springvale School Move On
Picture
29 August 1946 ~ Emmet County Graphic

1948 ~ Rural School Field Day was Coordinated by Coach Cliff Buckmaster
Picture
13 May 1948 ~ Emmet County Graphic
1948 ~ Petoskey's Elementary Schools describing grades included...
Picture
26 August 1948 ~ Northern Michigan Review

1948 ~ Pete's Store Across from Petoskey High School on Howard Street
(George Schier owned this store later.)
Next to this store was Joe Hanna's music store
where many of the school band members bought/rented their instruments.
Picture
23 September 1948 ~ Pete's Store Across From PHS
1948 ~ Movie Technology to be Used in Local Schools
Picture
12 October 1948 ~ Petoskey Evening News article continued on right column...
Picture
12 October 1948 ~ Petoskey Evening News article continued from left column...

1949 ~ Mrs. Jessop, 50 Years a Teacher, Dies
Picture
20 January 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review
1949 ~ Two Rural Schools to Close...
Picture
12 September 1949 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
15 September 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
15 September 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
15 December 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
15 December 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review

6 October 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Photo Below of 1949 Bus Drivers
Front Row: John Johnson, Emery Bellmer, Art Bellmer, Fletcher Johnson
Back Row: Grant Lambertson, Charles Webster, Charles Bellmer

Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspapers (1949)
Picture
6 October 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review
1950 ~ Fletch's Provides Petoskey School Transportation (New Bus)
Picture
20 January 1950 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Photo Below: “Fletch’s, Inc. was founded in 1939 by N. Fletcher Johnson with the purchase of a red, white and blue school bus. He ran the business from his home in Bay Shore until 1949. Then he rented space in the building at 805 Charlevoix Avenue and called his business Fletch’s Garage, Inc. By 1952, he had purchased the building and owned a fleet of 8 buses. He also repaired other properly’s trucks and sold used vehicles. 
Both businesses continued to grow. He added and expanded buildings, bought automobile franchises, hired more and more employees, and developed a collision center. Currently, four of Fletch Johnson’s children, John, Mary, Donald and Robert, are managing the corporation.” ~ "11 August 2005, Reflections" supplement to the Petoskey News Review
Picture
1950s Fletche's School Buses ~ "11 August 2005, Reflections" supplement to the Petoskey News Review

1951 ~ Petoskey Teacher Clifford Buckmaster was head of
Region Five of the Michigan Education Association

Picture
11 October 1951 ~ Northern Michigan Review

Picture
3 January 1952 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
10 July 1952 ~ Northern Michigan Review

1953 ~ Foreign Born Parents Praise Educational System Here
Picture
26 February 1953 ~ Northern Michigan Review article accompanied the photo/text below...
Picture
26 February 1953 ~ Northern Michigan Review photo accompanied the article above...

Overview of the Petoskey Pubic Schools ~ 26 January 1955
(article below)

Picture
26 January 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review... next column
Picture
26 January 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review... article continues below
Picture
26 January 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review

~ Emmet County Best Spellers ~
30 April 1955

Picture
30 April 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review

 ~“Resort School Board Sells Unused Schools” due to consolidation and construction of a new school~
1961


Picture
12 May 1961 ~ Petoskey News Review

Picture
7 May 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review

1968 ~ Like with Education... Miss Van Ness was an institution.
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspapers (1968)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspapers (1968)
Picture
19 June 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review

1969 ~ Map with School Boundaries and Schedules
Picture
22 August 2018 ~ Petoskey News Review

1969 ~ Char-Em School District Technology
Picture
30 August 1969 ~ Petoskey News Review

1981 ~ Mrs. Ann Angus taught at elementary schools in Petoskey and Emmet County
for several years before 1961.

Picture
31 December 1981 ~ Petoskey News Review

1983 ~ Mrs. Beckon taught at several of the rural schools listed farther below...
Picture
4 February 1983 ~ Petoskey News Review

Photo Below: 1984 ~ "Six Petoskey Teachers Honored Upon Retirement"
Mrs. Ruth Hoffman taught in the rural Maple Grove School.

Picture
11 June 1984 ~ Petoskey News Review

Obituary Below: "Charles A. Robinson served 39 years in the education field including positions at a Resort Township school and Boyne city public schools. For 19 years he served as Char-Em Intermediated School District superintendent, retiring in 1972."
Picture
13 September 1990 ~ Petoskey News Review

Photo Below: New Petoskey Public School Superintendent John Jeffrey
with secretary Cindy (Loveless) Piehl

Picture
2 July 1996 ~ Petoskey News Review

What a treasure this Kellogg plate marking the 29 rural schools of Emmet County would be
IF it has survived the years at least past the 1997 photo/text next below.
8 December 1961 (article below)
Picture
8 December 1961 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo Below: The plate that former Emmet County Schools Superintendent  Bruce Blanchard held is precious (one of a kind); having been created by local artist Stan Kellogg. "The plate shows the location of each of the 29 rural school houses in the county Blanchard held the post, starting in 1945, and for almost 20 years" while Blanchard was in charge of the entire county's educational system."
Picture
18 August 1997 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (18 August 1997)

Photo Below: Old school bell on corner of Robinson and Johnson roads. It still rings!
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick

1994
The FIRST charter school in Northern Michigan was Concord Academy.
It was built, and run, by Steve and Kim Overton.
The program focus was the "fine arts"
as the means for promoting academic excellence and character development.
Char-Em Intermediate School District became the "chartering body".

Picture
8 June 1994 ~ Petoskey News Review

The 13 July 2019 Petoskey News Review reported:
"Superintendent Excited to Call Petoskey Home ~
On 1 July 2019 Chris Parker became
only the sixth superintendent in the nearly 100-year history of Petoskey Pubic Schools.



~ RURAL and ONE-ROOM SCHOOLS ~

Raymond Kalbfleisch reported about Cross Village schools in the September 3-9, 1986 Harbor Light newspaper: "The village's first public school as we know it, was opened in 1870. However, that was not the beginning of education in Emmet County. Not to be overlooked by any means are the following interesting facts: Father Weikamp's school building was completed in 1859. And already previously related is the announcement of the first township meeting to be held in the Indian Schoolhouse in the Village of La Croix [The Cross-Cross Village] in May of 1855; thus a school must have been in session at that time. Soon after 1852, Mr. Porter's mission school at Bear Creek (Petoskey) provided the pupils with a generous lunch every day at noon. And nearly a quarter of a century earlier in 1829 a mission school was established in Little Traverse (Harbor Springs). However, most surprising of all is the mention, by Father Samuel Mazzuchelli, of the College of the Jesuits at Arbre-Croche in 1896."

Mary Belle Shurtleff reported on page 19 of her Old Arbre Croche ..... "The first district 
school in Emmet County was established in Cross Village in 1870. For several years it was taught by John S. Shurtleff, who came from Mackinac in 1870."


~ Ayr School ~
Formed in 1878 (?) on North Conway Road near Tower Road
(Also see Sunny Ridge School below)
(Also stated Ayr School formed in 1883 (?) in another part of source above)
The Ayr School district grew in 1901 when the north part of Sunny Ridge School
was transferred to Ayr Schools. A new building was built in 1906 seen in the photo below.

​Used as Village Hall...
Picture
February 2022 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
TEACHERS:
Anna Markham (FIRST recorded teacher contract)
Addie O'Reiley (June 1884)
Miss Abbye Palmer (1906) became Mrs. Bathke.
Miss Giles of Wolverine (1907)
Amy Lusk
Miss Grace Osborn (1937-38)
Mrs. Louise Steele (1949)

STUDENTS:
Bette Louise Albright (Hemstreet)
Laura Marie (Sydow) MacDonald
Picture
9 June 1932 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
27 December 1937 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
1 October 1973 ~ Petoskey News Review
Ayr School remained small until 1901 when Sunny Ridge School district petitioned the township school board to transfer the northern part of their district to the Ayr School. In 2006 this building still existed as a residence. The Ayr school building did not have a well until 1897.
Picture
25 September 2006 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
20 March 2001 ~ Petoskey News Review
“In 1901 several residents of the Sunny Ridge school district petitioned the township school board to transfer the northern part of their district to the Ayr school. The petitioners lived in the southern part of the Sunny Ridge district. Seemingly, their plan was to give away the northern part of the district, and then move the Sunny Ridge school nearer to their homes. This petition was granted in 1901, and the Ayr school district grew suddenly in area. Families immediately affected by the change were Sydow, Bathke, and Dettwiler.

The growing school had its all time high enrollment in 1904 with 37, therefore the school board started saving money to build a new school. Despite high enrollment, the average daily attendance was much less because of poor attendance, and many did not go to school the whole term… it was normal for little children to miss school during the cold, snowy months, especially if they had to walk very far. The older students often missed school in the summer and fall, probably to work.

At a special meeting in December of 1905, it was decided to build a new building. They first decided to sell the old building for $75. If no one wanted it, it was to be torn down and the lumber used in building the new school. In the end, John Hicks took the building in exchange for 45 cords of firewood. The building was moved north over the property line to the adjoining lot. This old school building still exists within the nice exterior of the John Thorpe home in 2006.

In the summer of 1906, summer school was canceled while the new school was being built. School board minutes indicated the new school cost $55. The first teacher in the new school was Abbye Palmer who had just moved north from central Michigan. Many knew her later as Abbye Bathke.

From an all time high enrollment in 1904, enrollment dropped to a low of 13 in 1912-13. The teacher reported an average daily attendance of six that year.”

Click HERE to access the source of the information above ~ Page 16 of Maurice Eby’s book The Ayr School and Community Emmet County Michigan.

~ Bennett School ~
In the very early years, the Bennett School house was built on the NW corner of the SW 1/4 of Section 12,
Center Township

Picture
2 January 1880 ~ The Petoskey Record

~ Blackman ~
Stutsmanville
TEACHER:
Mr. Eastman 1895

~ BLISS SCHOOLS ~
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 60
According to Raymond Kalbfleish's writings in the 15-21 October 1986 Harbor Light newspaper, on 3 June 1879 a meeting was held with Alva A. Collins and O.H. Greenfield who planned the FIRST organized school for Bliss community. The school house was located on the northeast corner of section 26, and used until 1883. Being the Garber homestead, the school was known as the Garber School. The FIRST teachers were Eva Wilber (taught summer term) and Alva A. Collins (taught winter term).
"Our FIRST little log school house where we sat on homemade benches, was on the northeast corner of Section 26.
​Our FIRST teacher was the Reverend Collins, whose homestead was north of Canby."
~ September 17-23, 1986 Harbor Light written by Grant Keiser of Levering, Michigan
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee


​Elnora Fay Lee's booklet "A Century of Bliss"
​may be accessed by clicking HERE.
Ella M. Backus who passed away in 1938
​had taught school near Bliss for a number of years.
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 37
Picture
6 February 1958 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Garber Schoolhouse
About 1888 in March, School District No. 2 was purchased from Franklin Keiser in Section 23.
East Bliss closed in 1949 when people voted to transport their children to Pellston.

Sturgeon Bay Trail and Cassidy Road in Bliss Township
(Private Residence)
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
TEACHERS:
Mrs. Charles Barton
Reverend A.A. Collins

1878 Eliza (Streeter) Lawrason
1880 Reverend Daniel Green
26 May 1882 Emmet County Democrat ~ Miss Eva Brainard is teaching school in Bliss township.
13 January 1892 The Petoskey Record ~ Miss Delia Garber opened school in the Gallagher Dist. Dec. 28th for a term of three months. This is Miss Garber's first term and we wish her success.

STUDENTS:
Fidilla Keiser became Mrs. Wilson Mann. Fidilla's FIRST teacher was Reverend Daniel Green.
​Tom Cassidy attend the summer term of 1883.
~ East Bliss School ~
School District No. 2 - Located in the Village
​(Luesing School-built 1883)
Luesing School was the meeting and voting place by 1889 and the rent was $2.00 for the school.
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 41 continued right column...
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 42 continued below...
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 43 continued from above right column...
Picture
12 November 1881 ~ Emmet County Independent
Picture
4 July 1902 ~ The Independent Democrat
Picture
"Yesterday's People Revisited ~ A Chronology of Northern Emmet County" (Compiled by Raymond Kalbfleisch) Page 211.
Grant Keiser of Levering related: "Our first little log school house where we sat on homemade benches, was on the northeast corner of Section 26. Our first teacher was the Reverend Collins, whose homestead was north of Canby."
TEACHERS:
Henry Luesing
​1883 Henry Garber
Mr. Irving Collins (1902)
​Miss Francis Pearsall of Ionia (Fall 1902)
Mr. Conn Nowland (1937-38)
Nelson PIer
Mrs. Barton
Mr. Swift
Charles Swartout 1881
Charles Brown
Frances Peirsall
Elmo Kraus
​Miss Saffer

STUDENTS:
Thomas Cassidy
Lester Overholt
Anna and Lillian Schock

~ South Bliss School ~
School District No.1
(Bliss Township on Pleasantview Road–NR Corner of Section 34 built about 1884)
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 39
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 40
TEACHERS:
Miss Florence Overholt (Fall 1902-FIRST teacher in the new building)
​Miss Lillie Bacon (1902)
Reverend Collins
Fidilla Keiser
​Mrs. Samuel (Lucy) Hoar (between 1894 and 1898)
Grace Schroch
Charles Swartout
Nina Carson (Last term summer 1900)
Miss Maude Mann (1920-had 52 pupils)
Miss Ellen Trelfa (1937-38)
Ruby Woodruff (1940)

STUDENTS:
​Children of Elmer Kilpatrick and George Mallory

~ West Bliss School ~
School District No. 3
(Bliss Township)
​1442 East Sturgeon Bay Trail, Levering, Michigan
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 40 continued below...
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 41 continued from above...
TEACHERS:
​Miss Lillie Bacon (1901)
​Miss Florence Overholt (1902)
Carl Worden (Fall 1902>)
Miss Garber (April 1903)
Amos Overholt
Mrs. Parks (About 3 years)
​Henrietta Collins
Miss Nelson (1927)
Albion Sullivan
(1937-38) (1939)
Mrs. Martha Snider (1949)
Mrs. Ruth H. Bates of Harbor Springs (1949)
​John HIser (1952)

STUDENT:
​Peter N. Gokey (b. 1938)
Six Photos Below were posted on Zillow listing the property for $139,000.00 for a 3 bedroom residence. The description told: "Numerous possibilities for this unique property; the old Bliss school house converted to a summer cabin. Property features a well, upgraded electric, RV hookups, outhouse and a shed. Fun location adjoining the Bliss Polo Fields and directly across from the historic Bliss General Store. Beyond a cabin, house conversion or rental, the property is zoned B-1 allowing for many more uses. For the inspiring entrepreneur or up north getaway this is a great location to launch your Northern Michigan adventures."

Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow
Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow
Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow
Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow
Two Photos Below: General location of the West Bliss School with its out-building, located next to the Bliss Polo Fiedsl, across from the Bliss General Store, and Caddy-Corner from the Bliss Cemetery.
Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow
Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow

~ Bradley School ~
(Readmond Township)

TEACHER:
Mildred Botsford


 ~ Brutus School ~
The FIRST School in Maple River Township began in 1879.
The FIRST school deed at Brutus was dated September 1881.
Next Brutus School was built in 1894-95 and became a Mennonite Church
(Another room was added in 1906).

Picture
April 2018
IF the photo above is truly of the Brutus School, it is now used as the Maple River Township Hall.
Corner of US 31 and Brutus Road

TEACHERS:
Anna Kuebler (1922)
Florence Brown
(1937-38 Upper Room)
Helen Collins (1939)
Eunice (Farrer) Cook

Agnes Neiswander Gregory
Amy Lusk (View Obituary posted under Ayr School above)
Irene McRae (1939)
Anna Powell was the FIRST Teacher (1880 Census lists 4 students)

Miss Constance Yager (1937-38 Lower room)
Gladys Crapsey (1949)



~ Canby School ~
​25 East Levering Road, Levering, Michigan

(Section 34 Bliss Township on the southwest corner of Canby and Levering roads)
​Converted to residence...


Elnora Fay Lee wrote in her booklet A Century of Bliss on page 13:
"Later the Canby school house was homesteaded by John Davis."
The Canby School continued in operation until about 1964 when it was closed
and the pupils were bused to the Pellston School.
Picture
"A Century of Bliss" by Elnora Fay Lee ~ Page 38
Picture
"Yesterday's People Revisited ~ A Chronology of Northern Emmet County" (Compiled by Raymond Kalbfleisch) Page 210.
Picture
8 April 1953 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Article Below: Mrs Hoar (Lucy Crandall in 1890 when teaching at Canby School) was 19 years old and had taught a year in the Ely school when offered the position at Canby School. She signed a 4 month contract at $25.00 per month for about 20 students. Lucy served as her own janitor.
Picture
23 September 1948 ~ Northern Michigan Review
TEACHERS:
Lucy Crandall (Mrs. Hoar)
​Mrs. Hazel Hartung (1924) 
Theresa Boettger (1937-38) (1939)
Mrs. Ruth H. Bates (1949)
Miss Jeanne Miller (1953)
Two Photos Below were posted on Zillow noting the property had sold 11 August 2021 for $201,000.00. The description told: "Turn of the century Canby School House has been artistically transformed into a beautiful modern home. Open floor plan. Tons of natural light. Corner lot with a fenced in yard. Large 4 car garage that includes an upstairs storage space. Country setting just a short drive to town, ski hills, beaches and northern MI attractions. Upstairs loft includes a closet and is being used as a third bedroom."
Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow
Picture
22 July 2023 ~ Captured from Zillow


~ Carp Lake School ~
(Gill Road)
Used as a church...

TEACHERS:
​William Mathews (1920)
Mrs. Frank (Marguerite) Schroeder of Levering (1949)
Mrs. Josephine Shea of Onaway (1949)

STUDENT:
George Wilson (1920 ~ 1986)



~ Carp Lake School ~
Cecil Bay Road 

Building gone...


~ Carpenter School ~
District 5, Resort Township
​Corner of Resort and Intertown

Picture
First Carpenter School ~ Page 74 Resort Township Remembers
"In 1948, Glenn and Marie Crothers established their farm along Camp Daggett Road and raised their four children on the land. Throughout the farm’s history, the land was managed for crops, hay, beef cattle and timber. The children walked two miles each way to the local one-room schoolhouse—The Carpenter School—until transferring to Petoskey schools after sixth grade." Click HERE to access additional information about the Little Traverse Conservancy's FIRST voluntary, township based Purchase of Development Rights which encompasses the 84-acre Crothers Farm as reported in the 3 October 2018 Traverse Magazine.
     The Petoskey News Review 12 May 1961 issue announced “Resort School Board Sells [Four] Unused Schools” due to consolidation and construction of a new school on Resort Pike. Sixteen bids had been submitted for the land and buildings and electric pumps which were at two of the four schools.
      Floyd Wheeler, Camp Daggett Road bought the brick Carpenter school and property for $3,300.
TEACHERS:
Nina Stauffer (1908)
Earl Bacon (1925)
Charles Robinson (1937-38) (1939)
Mrs. Mildred Brecheisen (1949)
Charlotte Gridley
​Mrs. Eva Matthews

STUDENTS:

Leatha Baird
Joyce B. Brechesin
Margaret Brechesin
Cruthers Family: Alice, Benjamin, Bill, Bob, Eleanor
Ruble Dickerhoff
Rita Hall
Roberta Hall
Hand Family: Betty, Bob, Carmen, Edith, Gail, Garthe, Jerry, John, Louis, Millard
Shirley Leismer
Robert Leismer
Grant Martinchek
Oscar Martinchek

Bessie E. (Planck) Newson (1880 ~ 1964)
Margaret B. (Yobst) Price
Dorothy Rohen
Schwartzfisher/Frank's Family: Barbara, Bob, Edwin, Eugene, Frank, Hilda, Jerry, Leona, Lois, Tony
Schwartzfisher/John's Family: Alfred, Bernard, Catherine, Edith, Helen, Joe, John, Leo, Rita, Teresa
Irene Stolt
Shirley Stolt


~ Cement Plant School ~
(District #4 in Resort Township)
Corner of Old Highway 31 and Townsend Road, Petoskey, Michigan

(Also Called "Maplewood School")
​See More Information Farther Below under Maplewood...


​Map Below: Red Line points out Cement Plant School
Picture
April 1963 Map Submitted by Local Historian Tom Sage

~ Cecil Bay School ~
(Carp Lake Township on Cecil Bay Road)

TEACHER:
Mrs. Helen Sikkens (1937-38)
(1939)


~ Conway School ~
(3291 US 31 Conway, Michigan)
Picture
5 August 1974 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo Below: Conway School Burning
Picture
3 February 1938 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
Picture
10 February 1938 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
23 February 1938 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
Submitted by Conway School Student Bill Dohm
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
Picture
"Retrainable School in Conway" ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (1970)
Conway School/Little Traverse Township Community Center photos below taken 7 November 2005
are from the public records of Little Traverse Township.
Picture
Prior to its razing in 2007, the building was used as the Little Traverse Township Community Center (Photo from Little Traverse Township Records)
Picture
Northwest Corner of the Little Traverse Township Community Center (Photo from Little Traverse Township Records)
Picture
Crooked Lake water view from Community Center (Photo from Little Traverse Township Records)
Picture
Combined classrooms for meeting room area in Community Center (Photo from Little Traverse Township Records)
Picture
Kitchen area of Community Center (Photo from Little Traverse Township Records)
The school in Conway was actually taken over by the Petoskey Public School District when the fractional school district was dissolved.   It was then run as the ISD special education program. Little Traverse Township purchased the property from Petoskey School District in 1981 as a back up, in the event the township ever was required to provide a second voter precinct. The township rented the building out for community activities; including the Conway Community Club, and various church groups for meetings. The building became a financial burden on the Township and was torn down in 2007. Since then, the township has maintained the property as open space, and kept the old school playground equipment to be used as a park for kids, as well as a dog run.
TEACHERS:
Fenton Hartley (1878)
Fannie Kurtz, the FIRST teacher in 1907-1908, had nine pupils
Jean Hastings Trask, ALSO FIRST? Teacher in Conway
Nancy Kipp Hicks (Summer of 1884)
Joyce Drier taught LARGEST ENROLLMENT of 43 students in Conway School in 1962-63
Mr. Wm. F. Hewitt (1937-38) Mr. Hewitt also taught at Hathaway School.

      Bill Hewitt Sr. taught his own children, Bill Jr. and twin daughters.
Mrs. Eva Matthews (1939)
Mrs. Alyce (or Alice) Engle (1949-50)
Miss Janet Inglis (1954)
Ruth (Corey) Cosens (b. 1893 d. 1986)
Mrs. Margaret Smith (1966-67), the LAST teacher before annexation to the Petoskey School District on 30 January
     1967


STUDENTS:
​Bill Dohm
Betty Hewitt
Barbara Hewitt
LaVaun Hewitt
Arlene Lewis
Dorothy Jean Phillips
Rodney Phillips
Marcelin Severner
Ruth Ann Stolt
Picture
4 June 1942 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
Miss Janet Inglis ~ 1954 Conway School Yearbook
Picture
12 November 1954 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
Grades Kg, 1, and 2 ~ 1954 Conway School Yearbook
Picture
Grades 3, 4, and 5 ~ 1954 Conway School Yearbook
Picture
Grades 6 and 7 ~ 1954 Conway School Yearbook
Gerald and Harold were in the 8th grade in the 1954 Conway School yearbook.

~ Crapo School ~
(Friendship Township)

Picture
1 August 1946 ~ Emmet County Democrat

~ Cross Village School ~
(Three Rooms)
(5971 Wadsworth Street in Cross Village Township)
(Cross Village Township hall in 2018)

Raymond Kalbfleisch reported about Cross Village schools in the September 3-9, 1986 Harbor Light newspaper: "The village's first public school as we know it, was opened in 1870." and in the July 16-22 1986 issue Mr. Kalbfleisch quoted The Traverse Region, pages 142 and 143: "In 1870 Captain Wagley wanted a school started in the place [Cross Village], and prevailed upon Judge Shurtleff, a pioneer teacher whom he had known for many years to come and teach a school. That was the FIRST district school taught in the county."
Picture
19 April 1969 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
Cross Village School Sign ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1988)
Picture
28 December 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review article continues below...
Picture
28 December 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review article continues from above, accompanying the photos below...
Picture
28 December 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review photos accompanied the article above...
Picture
28 December 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review photo accompanied the article above...
Picture
28 December 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review photo accompanied the article above...
Picture
Cross Village School ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1969)
Picture
Cross Village School ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1988)
TEACHERS:
Judge Shurtleff - 1870 FIRST Teacher for Cross Village
​Miss Eunice Burch - 1888
Miss Belle Carpenter - 1892
Miss Lillian Shurtleff (1937-38)
Sister Mary Julian Filey (1939)
Sister M. Bernetta Brislen (1939)
Sister M. Rosalita Sromovsky (1939)
Miss Neva Vorce (1949)
STUDENT:
Florence (Mokrzyski) Pyjar (2914 - 2018)
Picture
Cross Village Township Hall (Previously the school) April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
~ Cross Village ~
Father Weikamp's School

"Even though Father Weikamp died in 1889 and his organization was discontinued in 1896, his school went on for a half century. The original school constructed in 1859 was replaced in 1903 by a new building. The old building was moved to a new location and is now (1981) the Township Hall. The school was operated by the Sisters of St. Francis, and in 1900, the following named young women, all about 30 years of age were in charge of the school: Katie Wilbe, Anna File, and Tillie Gumming. One was a housekeeper and cook and the other two were teachers. In addition to these were two teachers in the public school." ~ Reported in the August 27 - September 2, 1986 Harbor Light, and written by Raymond Kalbfleish

~ Curtiss School ~
Springvale Township
on Corner of Ellsworth and Pickerel Lake roads
Picture
20 December 1930 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Corner of Pickerel Lake and Ellsworth roads)
Picture
27 August 2018
TEACHERS:
Miss Munger (1913)
Miss Madgeline Long (1937-38)
Mrs. Lelia Terpening
(1949)

STUDENT:
Allen Hannan (1938 - 2018)

Picture
26 July 1957 ~ Petoskey News Review

~ Depew School ~
District 3, Resort Township

In the 1880s the Resort Township (Emmet County) had six school districts. Depew school was located on a bank on the Resort Pike south of Depew Road, and thus called Depew School. Depew School was razed in the early 1930's, sending those students to the city school system. The pupils in the Resort Township's rural schools were taught through the eighth grade.
Picture
Depew School ~ Page 74 Resort Township Remembers
TEACHERS:
​Lillie Bacon (1897)

Ethel Shepherd (1914)
Picture
17 November 1897 ~ Depew School Students and Teacher Photo Above... submitted by Dean and Marna Wheaton with permission granted to be posted only on this Northern Mich-Mash Preserve web site.
Picture
17 November 1897 ~ Back of Photo Above... submitted by Dean and Marna Wheaton with permission granted to be posted only on this Northern Mich-Mash Preserve web site.
Photo Above: George Depew sat in the front row, two in from the left. Article Right: On 10 October 1922 George married Myrtle Dale. Myrtle Dale Depew taught in Emmet County schools and served for 18 years as secretary on the Resort school board. On page 84 in the book Resort Township Remembers is a page titled “Our Township Teachers” where it is listed that Myrtle Dale was a “teacher for 1912-13 and 1915.”
Picture
18 October 1922 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
Photo Above: Submitted from the Collection of Ross Renwick has been discovered in the book "Resort Township Remembers" on page 81 and is labeled as: "Resort Schools picnic at Lake Grove (Hotel)".
The Resort Township Remembers on page 73 stated: "In the early 1900's all the schools in the township were invited to Lake Grove Hotel for a picnic at the end of each school year."
Picture
13 May 2016 ~ Lincoln School Depew School Bell Dedication
On 13 May 2016 Marna Wheaton, whose husband was Dean Wheaton. Dean attended Lincoln Elementary School. Marna instigated the gift and the dedication of the Depew School Bell to Lincoln School in "Recognition of a gift from the Dean Wheaton Family." The bell will be used by Lincoln School which continues to exist.
Picture
13 May 2016 ~ Lincoln School Depew School Bell Dedication

~ Earl School ~
Please contact the webmaster with any information about this Earl School by clicking HERE.
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (17 January 1895)

~ Edgewater (Edgerton) School ~

~ Edgewater (Edgerton) School and its Programs ~
Edgwater was a small resort center settled in 1890 by J.L. Newberry.
The village was unincorporated but had their grammar school connected with the Petoskey schools.

Picture
9 May 1902 ~ The Independent Democrat
Picture
23 May 1903 ~ The Independent Democrat
Edgewater School was built in 1903 one block west of Kegomic... Edgewater (East Bay View).
In early years younger students through 4th grade attended Edgewater,
while older students walked to school in Downtown Petoskey.
Picture
Picture
5 August 1903 ~ Petoskey Record
Picture
19 August 1903 ~ Petoskey Record
Photo Below: "Edith Walrond was born 19 September 1879. Her father, John Walrond, owned Bump and Walrond hardware. She taught at the Edgewater School and was married to Yorgen Jesperson in 1910. He was the founder of Jesperson's Restaurant." ~ Information from the Little Traverse History Museum's Facebook
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
Picture
11 January 1916 ~ The Petoskey Evening News
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1971)
Picture
16 February 1940 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
11 October 1963 ~ Petoskey News Review
Extracted from "Curtain Calls  1945-1970," the Little Traverse Civic Theatre booklet: "In the Fall of 1968 Edgewater School building on Kent Street in East Bay View became available. A delegation from the "Little Traverse Civic Theatre" negotiated for the Edgewater School building with the Petoskey Board of Education, reaching agreement in November 1968. Props which had been safe in storage yet on the third floor of the Review Printing building were moved to Edgewater.... By April a new heating system in the school was installed with the FIRST play to be "Barefoot in the Park" presented in May of 1969.... The Edgewater School building was built in 1903. It was used as a country school, primarily to accommodate the children of the employees of the Tannery until such time that it was consolidated with the Petoskey school system. From about 1957 through the Spring of 1965 it was used as a special education center for physically handicapped children. The doors were closed and cobwebs gathered until Little Traverse Civic Theater moved."

​For additional information about the Little Traverse Civic Theatre on this same web site, click HERE.
Picture
Booklet "Curtain Calls 1945 - 1970"
Picture
19 October 1971 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
8 November 1971 ~ Petoskey News Review
Quoted from page 17 in Where Michigan Began A Guide to Emmet County, Published 1941: "Edgewater: On shores of Little Traverse Bay, 1.5 miles from Petoskey. Take US-31. A small resort center settled in 1890 by J.L. Newberry. Population: winter, 110; summer, 300. The village is unincorporated but has a grammar school connected with the Petoskey school system. There are several overnight cabins, as well as many privately owned cottages."
TEACHERS:
Mrs. LaVerne Jones (1949 first and second grades)
Miss Edith MacArthur

Miss Thompson (1912)
Mrs. Katherine Thornton (1903)
Edith Walrond (m. Yorgen Jesperson in 1910)


STUDENTS:
Duane Charles Maxwell (b. 1930 ~ d. 2023) later graduated from Petoskey High School.
Leo Paul Peterson (b. 1927 ~ attended through second grade) born in Kegomic.
Picture
15 September 1949 ~ Northern Michigan Review

~ Ely School ~
Northwest corner of Van and Pleasantview Roads
Center Township, Emmet County, Michigan
Photo Below: A schoolmistress and thirteen children in front of the Ely Schoolhouse...
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Floyd Earl McRae Photo Collection (Undated)
Picture
"Yesterday's People Revisited ~ A Chronology of Northern Emmet County" (Compiled by Raymond Kalbfleisch) Page 248.
Ely was an active town for about 30 years or more.
Ely had a school building, and its community Sunday School,
like the one at Canby was organized by Reverend George Weaver.

TEACHER:
Lucy Crandall [Mrs. Hoar] (About 1889 for one year when about 18 years old-graduate of Harbor Springs)
Hope Faunce (About 1918)

STUDENTS:
(About 1918) Audrey Guy, Theodore Waters, Florence Smith, Myrna Hulbert, Ione Waters, Harold Hartung, Floyd Bonter, James Smith, Willie Barrow, Leland Mallory, Peter Barrow, Earl Bonter, Floyd Guy, Alton Mallory, Joe Barrow, Frank Caeser, Flossie Guy, Goldie Hulbert, Addie Barrow, Mildred Hill, Dorothy Forrester, Evelyn Baldwin, Irene Gere, and Una Waters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frank B. Chellis



~ Epsilon School ~
(Springvale Township on Blanchard Road at East Mitchell Road)

Kitty (Spurgeon) Fox was a sixth grade student in Epsilon School where she attended for only one year.
Her teacher was Marguerite Hopper.

Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
TEACHERS:
Miss Alma Pardee (1884 Mentor Dist. No. 3)
Joanna Priscilla Smith ~ about 1898 (Mrs. Jacob Kalbfleisch)
Vernon Smith (1913)
Minnie Mancelona Andress (Mrs. Charles Pratt)
Mrs. Marguerite Hopper 
(1937-38) (1939) (1949)
Mrs. Festerling

STUDENTS:
Kitty (Spurgeon) Fox
Lloyd Steiner
Picture
19 November 1884 ~ The Petoskey Record
Picture
26 July 1957 ~ Petoskey News Review
Epsilon School Field Day
May 1946
Click HERE to contact the web master with identifications of anyone in the photo below.
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (May 1946)
Photo Above was not posted in the newspaper with the article below so it is not certain that the photo and the article are connected even though the associated dates are very similar... Perhaps student names included below were those of someone in the photo above.
Picture
9 May 1946 ~ Emmet County Graphic

~ Fenimore School ~
District 2, Resort Township

South-East Corner of Sheridan and Eppler roads in Resort Township
On 27 August 1918 Fenimore School was discontinued, the building was dismantled, and the lot sold. The lot sold for $25.00.

~ Ferti or Ferdy School ~
(Corner of 1982 Beckon and Larks Lake Road)
Ferti School closed in 1949 when the 12 students were sent to the parochial school at Cross Village.
​
Two 2018 Photos Below: Old school building stands vacant...
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
December 2024 Photo Below:
​The old school building that had stood vacant appears to have been renovated into a residence.
Picture
December 2024 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Photo Below: Dennis Jessick's grandmother Ruby Beckon taught here at Ferti/Ferdy
and also at Sogonosh Valley and Vorce schools.
She served as Dennis' inspiration to become a teacher. Dennis' teaching career lasted 34 1/2 years.

Picture
Ruby Beckon taught in several rural school houses in Emmet County ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
June 1995 ~ Petoskey News Review
TEACHERS:
Ruby Beckon
Mr. Thomas Dorrance
(1937-38)

STUDENT:
Herman Kerridge (b. 1934 d. 1986)

~ Fletcher School ~
TEACHER:
Mrs. Ruby Mummert (1937-38)


~ Five Mile Creek School ~
West Traverse Township No. 5 Fractional

(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 11 February 1954)
Hwy-119; Five miles north of Harbor Springs...
(Five Mile Creek School (1915 - 1957) Fractional Number 5, West Traverse Township)
In 1949 Five Mile Creek was the smallest of the county's schools, and it had only nine pupils,
one short of the number needed to receive state aid.

Five Mile Creek School was a Standard School as noted on the sign above the door.
The Standard School program was introduced into Michigan in 1914,
a year before Five Mile Creek School was built.

Owned presently by a Neighborhood Association as a 501(c)(3) to serve the community...
Picture
Five Mile Creek School (1915 - 1957) Fractioinal Number 5, West Traverse Township
Picture
24 September 1986 ~ Graphic
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
The 1939 census noted 42 enrolled students at Five Mile Creek School.
TEACHERS:
Margaret Bonscore (1937-38) (1939)
Mr. Herd
Mrs. Berta Mathews (1949 West Traverse)

STUDENTS:
Samuel Keway
Clara Elmina (Smith) Young
Ray Terpening
​Richard Al Williams (1934-2024)

Picture
31 August 1992 ~ Petoskey News Review
Additional information about Five Creek School may be accessed through the Petoskey Museum by clicking HERE.

~ Folgersonger School ~ (Later known as Morford School)
District 1, Resort Township

View Morford School information below...

~ Four Mile Creek School ~
TEACHER:
Miss Mary Foster (1939)


~ Gallagher School ~
Pleasantview Township No. 6
(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 14 April 1953)

TEACHER:
Mrs. Elmer M. (Effie J.) Corey (b. 1883 d. 1985 ~ 100 years old)


~ Garver School ~
Friendship Township No. 7​
(Voted to close in September 1941)
​(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 13 August 1952)
Picture
18 January 1927 ~ Petoskey Evening News
TEACHER:
Mr. Harry Linehan (1937-38)

In the 16 July 1953 Northern Michigan Review it was announced that the Harbor Springs Schools 
​would be selling the old Garver and Indian Garden schools which were no longer used. 
​
Picture
26 NOvember 1953 ~ The Emmet County Graphic

~ Good Hart School ~
Readmond Township No. 4
(Middle Village and Church Road Intersection – Good Hart Bible Church in 2018)

(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 8 July 1963)
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
TEACHERS:
Miss Bessie Johnston (1913)
Mrs. Bernice Kniesley
(1937-38)
Mrs. Veva Cramer

STUDENT:
Steven Shenanquet


~ Gray Hill School ~
Springvale Township
Picture
25 May 1938 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
22 May 1939 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
2 October 1941 ~ Northern Michigan Review
TEACHERS:
Miss Bertha Hopper (1913)
Miss Ruth Chaney
(1937-38)

STUDENTS:
Croff Children



~ Greenwood School ~
(Also labeled as "The Greenwood Sunday School)
So, perhaps used as both?

Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection (Undated)
Picture
30 January 1879 ~ Petoskey City Record
Picture
Label on the back of left photo...
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection newspaper (Undated)
Picture
28 March 18979 ~ Emmet County Democrat
"Greenwood school closed 12 January 1912 with a very small attendance the last two weeks of the term, owing to the almost impassable condition of the roads." ~ 26 January 1912, Petoskey Evening News
Two Articles Below: In August 1898 the new Greenwood school-house was being rebuilt. By 28 September 1898 the Greenwood school was opened under the tutelage of Miss Andrus. The building was described as more commodious and comfortable than the old one.
Picture
24 August 1898 ~ The Petoskey Record
Picture
28 September 1898 ~ The Petoskey Record
TEACHERS:
Miss Mary Wakefield 1879

​Miss Andrus 1898
Mrs. Frances M. (Waters) Everett [b. 1853 d. 1931]
Emily Hatch
​Miss Lillian Pace (Spring Term of 1912)

Mr. Burrell Tallady (1937-38)
Miss Mary Wakefield 1879

~ Gregg School ~
District 6, Resort Township
​Corner of Resort and Intertown?
Picture
Gregg School ~ Page 75 Resort Township Remembers
     The Petoskey News Review 12 May 1961 issue announced “Resort School Board Sells Unused Schools” due to consolidation and construction of a new school on Resort Pike. Sixteen bids had been submitted for the land and buildings and electric pumps which were at two of the four schools.
     Mrs. Agnes Priebe, Spring Street, purchased the Gregg School and property for $2,350.
TEACHERS:
Brechisen Family: Flenna, Jill, Jim, John, Wanda
Ida Crawford
Mrs. Frances M. (Waters) Everett [b. 1853 d. 1931]
Charlotte Gridley
Bertha B. Hopper
Kalbfliesch Family: Alvera, Beverly, Bill, Charlotte, June, Orville, Roger, Sally
Christine Knapp
Maud M. Mann (1919-1920)
Lena Murphy
Mrs. Margaret Haire (1949)

STUDENTS:

Bacon Family: Cindy, Karen, Louise
​Eppler Families: Norman, Marje, Nancy, Ralph, Ray, Ruth
​Vern Spears
Stolt Family: Charles, Howard, Ray



Map Below: Red Line points out Resort School, on corner of Resort Pike and Intertown Road
Picture
April 1963 Map Submitted by Local Historian Tom Sage

~ Gridley School ~
TEACHER:
Mrs. Charlotte Andrus
(1937-38)


~ Gulley School ~
Picture
6 October 1885 ~ The Northern Independent
TEACHER:
C.H. Swartout -1885


~ Hathaway School ~
Little Traverse Township No. 2
​
(Annexed to Harbor Springs School 1 July 1951)
​Converted to residence...

TEACHERS:
Mrs. Alyce Engle
(1937-38)

Mr. Wm. F. Hewitt (Mr. Hewitt also taught at Conway)
Eunice Hathaway (Earned $25.00 per month)

STUDENTS:
John Phillips
Gertrude (Powers) Phillips
Picture
17 February 1938 ~ Emmet County Graphic

~ Hebron School ~
TEACHER:
Miss Hilda Hoar


~ Hedrick School ~
Little Traverse Township No. 3 Fractional
(Annexed to Harbor Springs School August 1949)
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Photo Below: School House Lodge ~ Sign by Entrance Drive...
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
TEACHER:
Arthur Allerding (1937-38) (1939)

STUDENTS:
Ruth (Corey) Cosens (b. 1893 d. 1986)
Margaret Jean (Cosens) Tippett (b. 1926 d. 2019)
Clifford S. Rosebohm (b. 1934 d. 2018)


~ Hilltop School ~
Picture
8 May 1941 ~ Emmet County Graphic
TEACHERS:
Mrs. Eva Matthews
Mr. Pinny -1941


~ Huddleston School ~
C-81 
Highway
8 miles west of Pellston and 1/2 mile north of Jureks Meat Market on Pleasantview Road in Center Township
This school house was moved by the Ritchie Moving Co. July 2017
to the Antique-Flywheelers Club near Boyne Falls
(in memory of Louis Fochtman who attended a one-room school - Morford).

The newly remodeled Huddleston School was dedicated on the grounds of the
Northern Michigan Antique Flywheelers in Boyne Falls on 1 August 2018.


1911 -1913 
Pleasantville School
Eileen Bifoss submitted this photo with the explanation as follows: "I don’t know if the actual name of the school was Pleasant View or my mother called it that because that’s where she went to school. Four of these children were the Schierschmidt kids, my mother, two aunts and an uncle. I am not sure about the others. In the front row, 4th from left is my mother, Carrie nee Schierschmidt Bifoss. The Schierschmidt family lived just down the road from the Bifoss side of my family. My mother married Frank Bifoss and my uncle, Bob Schierschmidt married my aunt, Helen Bifoss... making the kids “double cousins”

The old farm that was called “The Russian Place” was owned by my great-grandparents, Micheal and Barbara Eppifonovsky; not positive the spelling is correct. The reason neighbors called it the Russian Place was that no one could pronounce their name. Their daughter, Clara was my paternal grandmother. Micheal & Barbara returned to Russia

Click HERE to contact the webmaster with any additional information about the photos below, or the information above.
Picture
Photo submitted by 1960 Petoskey High School granduate Eileen Bifoss to be used only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve Website...
Picture
3 JUne 1975 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
5 July 1992 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
1 December 2005 ~ Petoskey News Review
     On 20 April 2018 Emmet County resident Dennis Jessick met up with 95 year old Mrs. Sophie (Bifoss) Carpenter of Harbor Springs. Dennis asked her numerous questions in regards to her life as a student in the Huddleston School, eight miles west of Pellston and ½ mile north of Jureks Meat Market on Pleasantview Road. Sophie stated that her brother still has an original school desk from the school. The school house held about 20 to 30 students. A recess hand bell was rung by the teacher for those times. They played (on the concrete pad shown in the picture of the students standing on it): “Ring Around the Rosie”, card games, “Anti-I-Over-the-Woodpile”,  and “Hop Scotch”. Sophie was in the front row, farthest to the right in the photo. They also played horseshoes nearby in the school yard. They did have a small playground and a small ball field also. They carved names in trees behind the school. Students followed sleigh tracks down the dirt roads to walk to and from school due to unplowed roads. She lived in a nearby house, kitty-corner from the now Jureks Meat Market. Dennis was awe struck when she said the school (grades 1-7) consolidated to Pellston for grades 8-12 and walked to and from her home to Pellston and back in the winter. Dennis has driven that distance thousands of times and tells that to walk it seems unreal for a younger person to do so on a daily basis. Sophie fished with her brother in the Maple River, located to the west of her home. Of course, they walked to and from the river. She recalled wearing  4-buckle “arctics” for winter boots. She thought her report card “wasn't the best”.  Dennis disagreed and said it was a very good report card as shown in the photo of Sophie’s report card. Sometimes the teacher cooked soup on the wood stove. Students could not use their ink wells until the afternoon due to waiting for the room to warm up enough so the ink would flow. Minus 30 degrees outside was common. Sophie vividly recalled her handwriting practice skills using the constant, slanted, circular movements to gain proficiency in slant, height, spacing and pen control. Dennis teaches calligraphy and fully understands what she was saying. She also has a hand bell from the Gallagher School. Sophie spoke of the “Russian Place”, which Dennis had not heard those words since being a wee lad. The Jessick family and the Jurek family visited each other in their earlier years and Dennis recalls the “adults” saying something about the “Russian Place”. In reality, it was a Russian family who had a house and property behind the school property. Their actual Russian name was too hard to pronounce, thus, the “Russian Place”. Gertrude Chellis was the teacher in the school.
    Dennis stated he could have talked with Sophie all day. “What a wonderful and dear person she is. I had a great time visiting her. I was blessed!!”



Picture
1930 Huddleston School students photo of Sophie (Bifoss) Carpenter submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
List of 1930 Huddleston School students in the above photo of Sophie (Bifoss) Carpenter submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
Certificate of Promotion from first to second grade for Sophia Bifoss in the Huddleston School ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
Certificate of Promotion from fifth to sixth grade for Sophia Bifoss in the Huddleston School ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
Seventh Grade report card for Sophia Bifoss when attending the Huddleston School ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
Seventh Grade report card for Sophia Bifoss when attending the Huddleston School ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Obituary Below: Sophia Bifoss Carpenter's report card and certificates, and photo are included above. 
Picture
September 2019 ~ Gaylord Funeral Home

~ Indian Garden School ~
Friendship Township No. 1 Fractional
(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 13 August 1952)
TEACHERS:
​June Born (1934-35)
Miss Neva Vorce (1937-38)
Miss Eunice Farrer (1940)


STUDENT:
Irene L. (Thompson) Shepherd (b. 1915 ~ d. 1999)
Frederick Tippett (b. 1928 ~ d. 1984)
Picture
19 May 1938 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
8 September 1949 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
Picture
26 November 1953 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
In the 16 July 1953 Northern Michigan Review it was announced that the Harbor Springs Schools
​would be selling the old Garver and Indian Garden schools which were no longer used. 

~ Joy School ~
About 3190 Maxwell Road

Building standing vacant in 2024...
Picture
22 October 2016 ~ Submitted by Linda Balderson
TEACHER:
James Near (1913)

STUDENTS:
John Kilborn with 25 other youngsters


~ Kilborn School ~
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (1907)
TEACHERS:
Agnes Fleming
(1937-38) (1939)
Mary Ford

~ Larks Lake School ~
Center Township
Larks Lake Road, 8 MIles north of Boyne Highlands [Highlands of Harbor Springs]
TEACHERS:
Mrs. Gertrude Ball (1937-38)
Miss Cecil Baker (1949)
Picture
26 NOvember 1971 ~ Petoskey News Review
STUDENT:
Ida M. "Robinson" Hartung (born 1895)

~ Levering Schools ~
One of the FIRST buildings in Levering was the 'beehive', so called because of the variety of busy activities that it housed until it was demolished about 1940. It was about 25X50 feet in size and constructed of logs about 1880-1881 during the period that the east-west highway was being put through... The FIRST use of the beehive was as a barn and boarding house for the road construction crews. It also housed the first post office. Within 3-4 years part of the beehive became Levering's FIRST school with Mrs. George Carlton (the former Mary Hoar) as the teacher.
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper
Picture
18 November 1909 ~ Pellston Journal
Picture
26 May 1910 ~ Pellston Journal
Picture
6 September 1979 ~ Graphic Resorter
TEACHERS:
Eunice (Farrer) Cook
N.G. Hargett (1949)
Mrs. Frances Lounsberry (1949)
Mrs. Janet Schmalzried (1949)
Mrs. Marion Stanley (1949)
Mrs. Ellen Patterson (1949)
​Paul R. Aumilller, principal (1952)


~ Linehan School ~
Started 1877 on North Conway Road
Picture
Linehan School Students ~ April 1924 (Submitted by Tom Sage)
TEACHERS:
Miss McCambrige (1907)
Maud (Comany?)
Mrs. Eugene Sanford
Mrs. Stanley
Mrs. Sophia Taylor
(1937-38)

STUDENTS:
Edward Archer
Allen Ball
Fred Ball
Helen Erieks
Betty Guy
Donald Judson
Elane Overholt
Malinda Pangborn
Barbara Patterson

In 1909 several students from the Linehan school area, including the Sanford family, attended Ayr... possibly because Linehan was temporarily without a teacher that year.

~ Maplewood School ~
Also referred to as "Cement School"
District 4, Resort Township
(Two Rooms)
(Located where Townsend Road meets the OLD US 31 Highway)
It has been added on and is a private family home in 2023.
Picture
Maplewood School ~ Page 75 Resort Township Remembers
    The Petoskey News Review 12 May 1961 issue announced “Resort School Board Sells Unused Schools” due to consolidation and construction of a new school on Resort Pike. Sixteen bids had been submitted for the land and buildings and electric pumps which were at two of the four schools.
    Alex Budzik purchased the Maplewood School for $501 which is located on his property. Fred Foltz, Jr. of Lake Grove Road purchased the Maplewood electric pump for $105.50.
TEACHERS:
​Delphine Oakley (1879)
​Miss Elma Thompson (1886-1887) and (1910-1911)

Anna Bain (1895)
Richard Hayes (1900-1901)

Emmet Eldred (1901)1903
Maude Miller (1905-1906)
​Nelson Culp (1907-1908)
Ethel Brotherton (1910)
​Nita Shearer (1924 (1934-1937)
Mrs. Cecil Matthews (1929-1931) and (1950-1953)

Eva Clapper Morrow (about 1931)
​Elsie Starmer (Later to become Mrs. Bruce Blanchard) (1932-33)
​Bruce T. Blanchard (possibly about 1935)​

Miss LaVern McCalmon (1930-1936) and (1937-38 Upper Room)
Mrs. Nita Ross (1937-38 Lower Room)
Mrs. LaVern Jones (McCalmon)  (1939)
Mrs. Nita Ross (1939)
Mrs. Charlotte Gridley (1939-43) 
Mrs. Edna Northup (About 1949)

Mrs. Ruth Hoffman (1949)  (Photo in with the 1984 retiring teachers farther above)
​
STUDENTS:
Marilyn Beal
Orville Beal
Kenneth Billiau
Virginia Billiau
Catherine Cone
Chester Cone
Darwin Cone
Rupert Cone
The Emmet Eldred Family
Clarence Foltz
Edith Foltz
Edna Foltz
Wilbur Foltz
Bill Gray
Bud Gray
Dorothy Gray
Eleanor Gray
The Hammontree Family 
Goldie Hayes
Jones Twins: Jack and Joanne
​      (The Jones Twins also attended Kramer School)
Archie Keyes
Elsie Keyes
Emma Keyes
Louis Kopenkosky
Julia Lazier

Crystal Manthei
Mathilda Manthei
Jack Marquardt
Paul Marquardt
Reva Marquardt
Rex Marquardt
​Beverly Mason
Jack Matthews
Donald Mitchell
​Wallace Mitchell
Bruce Morrow
Helen Morrow 
Ralph Morrow
Ruth Morrow
Jack Matthews
Rex Marquardt 
Alma Nowland
June Nowland
Louise Nowland
Grace Piehl
Juanita Piehl
Mable Piehl 
Catherine Price
John Price
Bob Price
​Sterling Slijtle
Bill Smith
Jim Smith
Alma Wicker
James Wicker

ADDITIONAL NAMES SHOW IN THE 1953 YEARBOOK BELOW.

Picture
6 December 1907 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
11 September 1930 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
31 December 1932 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
21 May 1936 ~ Petoskey Evening News
The 1953 the "Maple Leaves" yearbook for Maplewood School told that the old school house burned in 1894. Then, school was held in one room of the house owned by Alex Bodzick. By 1953 the then-present school had been built in 1896. An addition was built in 1932 providing another class room, with Maplewood being a two-room school for the next ten years. Bruce T. Blanchard, the Superintendent of Emmet County Rural Schools and Mrs. Blanchard who then was Miss Elsie Starmer were the FIRST teachers in the two-room school. As families grew up or drifted away, Maplewood returned to being a one-room school; still with good books, good teachers, and "big open places" to play.

​Maplewood School was crowded in 1929 and 1930 because the Depression brought many people back to the rural areas. 
Ruth (Morrow) Hoffman not only was a teacher at Maplewood School, but also had attended there as a student, even with her mother Eva Clapper Morrow as her teacher. She told of her childhood activities growing up near Maplewood School, and near the cement plant:

"Ruth Morrow Hoffman as a child in the 1920’s and 1930’s grew up on the Cecil and Eva (Clapper) Matthews farm directly above the Petoskey Portland Cement Plant. Ruth indicates the children living in the company owned housing that the cement plant owned and the local children would use the water in the quarries to skate on when it froze. Ruth said the water was not very deep and the parents did not have a problem with the kids scaling the quarry banks and skating on the ponds left by the cement plant's excavations. Getting down the rocky banks often was difficult with the snow that made it slippery. Once they were down to the ponds, the snow was cleared off and skating began. Ruth indicated that her first skates were metal with leather straps. They did not stay on. Sometime when she was about 9 years old, her parents got her the better full leather black skates. This was a big deal.

Sometimes as few as seven kids and other times twenty kids skated. They often would go skating during the day light hours. The night skating was by lantern. The parents would let the kids take lanterns to the quarry. Would parents today let kids climb down the quarry cliffs with lanterns?

The cement plant children and the country children at the Maplewood School on Townsend road were allowed during lunch time by the teacher to go to a small pond on cement plant property and get in a short skate. Ruth indicates they really had to hurry to do this during school lunchtime."
~ Submitted by Joe Hoffman (son of Ruth Hoffman)


Ruth (Morrow) Hoffman turned 100 in August 2023. Ruth attended school at Maplewood School and also taught school at Maplewood School. Ruth's mother Eva Clapper Morrow Matthews also taught school at Maplewood School (1929-1931) and again (1950-1953). While teaching at Maplewood School in 1953, Eva prepared this treasured "Maple Leaves" yearbook which Ruth still preserves. Ruth has given permission for the yearbook pages to be scanned, and posted below, for others to enjoy. Click on the photos to enlarge for easier viewing.
Photo/Text Below: Ruth Morrow Hoffman and her mother Mrs. Cecil Matthews were in front of the arts and crafts exhibits for the Emmet County Fair. At the time, Ruth was teaching in Maplewood School, where she also had attended school, and Ruth's mother Mrs. Cecil Hoffman was teaching at Morford School.
Picture
14 September 1948 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Photo/Text Above: Ruth Morrow Matthews Hoffman passed away at 102, on 21 December 2025. "Ruth attended a little two-room rural school called Maplewood on Townsend Road in Petoskey. Later, in 1940, she graduated from Petoskey High School and then went on to obtain a two-year teaching certificate from Central Michigan College. This degree allowed her to teach elementary classes for 6 years at Maplewood and other rural one-room schools. In 1956, she completed a Bachelor of Science degree and spent the rest of her 30-year teaching career at Central and Lincoln schools in Petoskey. She retired in the spring of 1984." ~ Ruth's obitary
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves yearbook cover
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves dedication page 1
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves drawing of Maplewood School by Mary Grams page 2
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 3
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves HISTORY OF MAPLEWOOD SCHOOL page 4
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 5
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 6
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 7
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves Mrs.Cecil Matthews page 8
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 9
Picture
Picture
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves Tonette Club page 12
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves 4-H page 13
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 14
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 15
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 16
Picture
1953 Maplewood Yearbook 17
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves Advertising page 18
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 19
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 20
Picture
1953 Maple Leaves page 21

The article below was in an OLD scrapbook in Petoskey District Library, so the page from which it was continued in the newspaper was not included, but the information below is interesting enough to post even without the beginning of the article. Mrs. Gridley was "quite proud of the fact that she instituted the FIRST hot lunch program in the county."
​
Picture
Undated clipping from OLD personal scrapbook in the Michigan Room of Petoskey District Library article continued below...
Picture
Undated clipping from OLD personal scrapbook in the Michigan Room of Petoskey District Library article continued from above...
The Maplewood School House also was used for years as the Maplewood Union Sunday School.
Picture
Submitted by Alice Schwartzfisher Dunkle

~ McKinley Township Unit School 1 ~
Picture
3 February 1944 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Headline for below article:
"McKinley School One of Finest in Michigan"
Picture
26 February 1946 ~ Northern Michigan Review

~ Minnehaha School ~
Pickerel Lake Road
(Close to the Intersection of Pickerel Lake Road and Channel Road)
In the late 1990s or early 2000s, the building was used as a church.

Picture
9 July 2019
TEACHER:
Mr. Charles Buchan
(1937-38)


~ Morford School ~
District 1, Resort Township
(
previously known as Fogelsonger School)
The FIRST Resort Township meeting was held on 20 September 1880 at the Fogelsonger Schoolhouse.
East of School Road off Resort Pike...
     "The Folgelsonger family, including Emanuel and Sarah Folgelsonger, moved to Petoskey in 1874, taking a boxcar loaded with livestock and their family goods. They were some of the first white settlers in Resort Township. Emanuel is believed to be the first person to have a cow in the township.
     They lived at the southwest corner of School Street and Resort Pike on 80 acres, in the vicinity of a one-room schoolhouse named the Folgelsonger School (later named the Morford School)." ~ 28 June 2019 Petoskey News Review
Two Photos Below: Submitted by Dean and Marna Wheaton with permission to post only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve website ~ Notice in the 1924 photo that skis are leaning against the school building... possibly the mode of transportation for arriving at and leaving school.
Picture
Photo Front with Back of Photo Below ~ Submitted by Dean and Marna Wheaton with permission to post only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve website
Picture
Back of Photo Above ~ Submitted by Dean and Marna Wheaton with permission to post only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve website
Picture
23 September 1943 ~ Northern Michigan Review
See a 1948 photo/text above under Maplewood School of Mrs. Cecil Matthews who was teaching in 1948 at the Morford School. The photo included Mrs. Matthews' daughter Ruth Hoffman who was teaching in 1948 at Maplewood School. 
Picture
    The Petoskey News Review 12 May 1961 issue announced “Resort School Board Sells Unused Schools” due to consolidation and construction of a new school on Resort Pike. Sixteen bids had been submitted for the land and buildings and electric pumps which were at two of the four schools.
    Ben Bochniak was high bidder for the Morford electric pump at $61.00. George Hibbler, Sr., was negotiating with the school board for the purchase of the Morford School.
TEACHERS:
Mrs. Naomi Shatto
(1937-38)
Mrs. Eva Mathews (1949)
​Ruth Hoffman (Morrow)
Miss Ethel Shepard
STUDENTS at Morford School:
​Glenn Ernst
Louis H. "Louie" Fochtman first attended Morford School and graduated from Petoskey High School in 1959.
Janet Fochtman
Ferguson Family: Leroy, Randy, Robert, Roger, Ronald
Hibbler Family: Harry, Leona, Velma
Morford Family: Bob, Jerry
​Gilbert C. Morford (1911~2001)
​The children of Christian and Marie (Bull) Pagel
Glenda Pagel attended Morford School in about 1947-48-49.
Shirley Pagel
Map Below: Red Line points out Morford School
Picture
April 1963 Map Submitted by Local Historian Tom Sage

​~ Murray School ~ 
(near Bay Shore... which is on the boundary between Emmet and Charlevoix counties)
Picture
28 September 1898 ~ The Petoskey Record
TEACHER:
​Miss Mamie Stone (1898)

STUDENT:
Ruth Wittie (Click HERE for additional information about Wittie's later life, building Petoskey Geriatric Center>Bortz>Villa By The Bay)
George William McClellan (1952 ~ 2024) 


~ Oden ~
"In the early 1880's, the Alanson and Oden area was in Maple River township, and districts No.3 and 4 were Oden (1881), and Alanson (1882)."  [Maurice Eby] 
UPDATE: It has been questioned IF Alanson and Oden TRULY were ever in Maple River township; but, rather always in Littlefield township. If anyone has any documents/records that can confirm or deny the information of Maurice Eby, please contact this web master by clicking HERE.

​UPDATE: Below page section is from The Traverse Region (written in 1884) which explains that yes, Oden very likely had been in Maple River Township until about 1881. Read beside the red arrow which states: "Township 35 north, of Range 4 west, and so much of Sections 20 and 21 in said Township as lie north of Crooked Lake, was detached from Littlefield and attached to Maple River.” ​When the section says below “town of Littlefield” that means “township of Littlefield”. It must be remembered that in the early years of governmental organization that the boundary lines were very "fluid." At one time Emmet County, Michigan, did not exist, and was Charlevoix County, Michigan. When the below article spoke of Egleston Township having been organized in March 1884, it is noted now that Egleston Township no longer exists. In the 1902 Emmet County Plat book Egleston had become McKinley Township.
Picture
The Traverse Region ~ Page 137
1909 -1910 Souvenir Below: Teacher Richard Hayes is in the 1909-1910 Oden School photo  below with students.
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1909-1910)
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1909-1910)
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1909-1910)
The names listed below were on the back of the above postcard.
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1909-1910)
These two photos below of Oden School belonging to Leslie Bagwell were pasted to a folder and labeled 1911.
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1911)
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1911)
Photo Below: 1912 Oden School
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1912, no identifications)
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1912, back of the postcard posted above)
Photo Below: 1913 Oden School
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1913)
Photo Postcard Below was labeled: "May 23, 1913. Oden school and visitors last day of school at picnic."
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (23 May 1913)
Photo Below: 1913 numbered people with names matching the numbers listed below.
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1913)
The list of names below were on the back of the 1913 postcard photo above.
Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1913)
Photo Below: 1914 Oden School Eighth Grade Graduation

Standing L>R: Blanch Whitney (teacher), Frank Carlson, Majeska Woodruff, Wayne Whitney, Clarence Engle
SeatedL>R: Mildred Wren, ?, Gertrude Huey (grandmother of Leslie Bagwell), Luella June

Picture
Submitted by Leslie Bagwell with permission to be posted only on this Northern Mich~Mash Preserve web site... (1914)
TEACHERS:
Miss Arlene Van Ness
Ruth (Corey) Cosens (b. 1893 d. 1986)
Richard Hayes taught about 1909-1910 (in Oden postcard photo farther above)
Blanche Whitney taught 1913
(in Oden postcard photo farther above)

~ Pleasantview Center ~
Pleasantview Township No. 3
(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 1 July 1957)
Picture
20 October 1948 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
25 April 1877 ~ Little Traverse Republican
TEACHERS:
U.P. Hedrick
Miss Emma Post (1877)

~ Porter Mission School ~
Picture
1 January 1952 ~ Petoskey Eveing News
TEACHER:
May Starling of Alanson (1907)


~ Red School ~
Formed in 1883 (Originally in a log building) District No. 5

(2025 Red School and Johnson roads intersection in Maple River Township)
Four miles northeast of the Ayr School, started just before Ayr started.
Photo Below: The building has an outhouse out back... but, not the out building seen in the photo.
Used as Grange Hall at one time...

Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Photo Below:
Children on the porch of the Red School Road school house
​(female on upper left may be the schoolteacher Mrs. Huebler?)...

Named IndividualsTop Left to Right: Anna Wurst; Wanda Lutz; Edwin Snyder; Isabell Sterbing; Paul Clark; Anna Larson; Billy Hatch.
​Bottom Left to Right: Clarence Hatch; Alfred Crowford; Viola Larson; Ralph Crowford; Jackie Sterbing; Ruth Snider​
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Floyd Earl McRae Pellston History Photographic Collection (1930s)
TEACHERS:
Eila Grigsby (1922)
Mrs. Huebler? (1930s)
MIldred Crapsey (Little Red School 1940)

STUDENT:
Leo R. Clark

~ Resort Township ~
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (July 1960)
Picture
Resort Consolidated School Built by 1961 ~ Page 74 Resort Township Remembers

~ Rose School ~

The Five MIle Creek red brick school building was built in 1915 to replace the Rose School
​which had burned down a short distance southeast of the Five Mile Creek building.

~ Round Lake School ~
​Larks Lake School
(Upper and Lower Rooms)
(Center Township on the intersection of Beckon Road and Rugged Road)
Converted to residence... as shown in the December 2024 photo below
Picture
December 2024 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
TEACHERS:
Mrs. Thelma Maxfield (1937-38 Upper Room)

Miss Agatha Boettger (1937-38 Lower Room)
Mrs. Ruby Beckon (1949-1953)
Picture
16 March 1953 ~ The Petoskey Evening News
Picture
Undated newspaper clipping section submitted by Ruby Beckon's grandson Dennis Jessick

~ Schmalzried School ~
(Carp Lake Township)
Consolidated Fall of 1939 (In the beginning was on Sam Gran'ts property and called Grant School).
When it was moved across the road to George Schmalzried property the name changed.
Picture
Yesterdays' People Revisited A Chronology of Northern Emmet County ~ page 263
Picture
9 July 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review
TEACHERS:
Snydie Atkinson (Abut 1901)
Mrs. Edward O'Neal (1904)
John Brill (About 1910)
Mae Hartung (1920)
Mildrid Schmalzried (1923)
Mrs. Liela Hiar (1937-38)

STUDENTS:
(About 1901: George Carlton, Bunny Hoar, John Krueger, Claude Schmalzried, Percy Reed, Della Schmalzried, Roderick Jones, Levi Hoar, Wesley Reed, Edmund Hartung, Polly Schmalzried, Cecil Carlton, Hazel Mitchell, Josie Jones, Anna Schmalzried, Burr Schmalzried, Ellis Schmalzried, Violet Hoar, Samuel Hoar, Dottie Foster, Mae Morrow, Georgia Schmalzried, Tressa Jones, Sidney Carlton, Carl Carlton)

(1904: Rena Irwin, Erma Hiar, Della Schmalzried, Georgia Schmalzried, Mae Hartung, Ed Hartung, Sidney Carlton, Oliver Campbell, Forest Luesing, Edith Hartung, Charles Readmond, Burr Schmalzried, Violet Hoar, Roderick Jones, Ellis Schmalzried, Dewey Adams, Mabel Carlton, Cora Schmalzried, Elsie Schmalzried, Carl Irwin, James Readmond, Gertrude Hiar, Maud Schmalzried)

(About 1910: Irma HIar, Merwyn Schmalzried, Georgia Schmalzried, Lyle Schmalzried, Ellis Schmalzried, Roderick Jones, Lester Kalbfleisch, Merl Jones, Charles Readmond, Burr Schmalzried, Mildred Grant, Maud Schmalzried, Cora Schmalzried, Elsie Schmalzried, Norman Schmalzried, George Hiar, James Readmond, Leo Grant)

(Spring of 1920: John Wynn, Charley Hiar or Ernest Cunningham, Frank Schmalzried, Frank Luesing, Rose West, Madelyn West, Ruth Schmalzried, Beatrice Adams, Hilda Adams, Lela Schmalzried, Frank West, Alva Shinn, Maurice Hartung, Esther Adams, Ruby Cunningham, Thelma McFarland, Thelma Adams, Eva Cunningham, Viola West, Hazel Schmalzried, Maxine Schmalzried)

(1923: Alva Shinn, Maxine Schmalzried, George Judson, Ruth Kilpatrick, Harold Struble, Maurice Hartung, Leon Schmalzried, Niles Hartung, Reuben Struble, Warren Kilpatick, Marjorie Shinn, Edith Judson, Corlista Kilpatrick, Leslie Page, Leola Schmalzried, Velma Page, Russell Shinn)



~ Sogonosh Valley School ~
Readmond Township No. 2 on State Road just north of Wormwood Road
(1904 > Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 3 September 1958)
Dennis Jessick's grandmother Ruby Beckon taught here at Sogonosh Valley School
and also at Ferti/Ferdy and Vorce schools.

Converted to Residence...

Picture
June 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
8 May 1941 ~ Emmet County Graphic
TEACHERS:
Mrs. Clara Cole
(1937-41)
Mrs. Cecile E. Baker

Ruby Beckon
​Mrs. L.W. (Ollie) Ingraham

STUDENT:
Milford Schlosser

~ Sommers School ~
DeKruif Road 
Consolidated 1929-1930

~ Stutsmanville School (The Red Brick School House)~
Friendship Township No. 2
​2-Room School 1906-1958

On corner of Stutsmanville and 3009 State roads – in 2018 near The Fish restaurant
(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 3 September 1958)
Just as the village of Stutsmanville was beginning to grow, the people built a small white house, which served as a school house, town hall, and church building. It was in 1906 when the red brick school house was built (after two years of hard work). 

First teacher Jesse Carmen, rang the new bell at 8:45 AM with school beginning promptly at 9 AM. All of the students  sat in wooden desck in one room for grades one through twelve; with 1 to 7 students per grade.
Picture
7 August 1952 ~ Northern Michigan Review
TEACHERS:
Jessse Carmen (FIRST TEACHER)
Sidney Atkinson
Bessie Benham or Behan
Mary Blanchard

FIRST Teacher Jesse Carmen
Eunice (Farrer) Cook
Polly Ellsworth
Theressa Foote
Mrs. Helen B. Hartenstein (1949) (LAST TEACHER)
​William Herd
Henrietta Hodnot
Clara Osgood
Lena or Tina Pratt
Emme Scype (became Mrs. Jesse Perry of Lansing, Michigan)
Marie Sterly
Carl Worden or Weden (Later a bishop in the Episcopal Church in Ohio)
STUDENTS:
​Ronald Lee Cease
Mary Belle (Tippett) Gregory

An original old white school house was replaced by the red brick building which still exists as in the photos below.
Picture
12 November 1908 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
Picture
29 March 2001 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
13 October 2018
Picture
Northern Origins ~ 2024 Annual

~ Sunny Ridge School ~
(See Ayr School above)
Started in 1879 or 1880 on Valley Road
(About 10 students in 1880)

"The Ayr School was joined by the Sunny Ridge School which was formed in 1880 and located one mile south and 1/5 miles east of the Ayr corner. This location changed later. Sunny Ridge was officially called Maple River Township No.2. In the early 1880's, the Alanson and Oden area was in Maple River township, and districts No.3 and 4 were Oden (1881), and Alanson (1882)."  [Maurice Eby]
Picture
12 May 1938 ~ Emmet County Graphic
TEACHERS:
Orpha Paige (1922)
Mrs. Audrey Piper

~ Tucker School ~
About 1878 the Tucker School was built in the area of the SE corner of 28 for the number one district.
​In 1880, located about a mile north of the village of Canby on the farm later owned by Samuel Gill...

~ Van School ~
Article Below: The Van School burned the night of 22 January 1929 when the strong wind created such a draft that the stove became overheated and set fire to the building. So, work on a new building would start in the following early spring. During the remainder of the 1928-29 school year the school would occupy an old farm house, to be remodeled at once. Books and supplies were furnished by the county educational department, and others were purchased of the local book stores.
Picture
25 January 1929 ~ Petoskey Evening News
The 14 September 1959 Petoskey News Review obituary for Mrs. Frances L. O'Neal, 85, of Bliss, stated: "Mrs. O'Neal was born March 2, 1874 in Chicago and moved to Harbor Springs as a young lady. She taught school at Van and was married to Edward J. O'Neal on May 5, 1905. They operated a store and post office at Bliss for many years. He died in 1941."

~ Vorce School/Island View School ~
Readmond Township No. 6 on 
Corner of Island View and Vorce roads
(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 26 September 1956)
Dennis Jessick's grandmother Ruby Beckon taught here at Vorce School
and also at Ferti/Ferdy and Sogonosh Valley schools.

​Converted to Residence...

Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
29 August 1940 Emmet County Graphic reported: " The Vorce School which ran last year for the first time in many years has decided to transport to Cross Village this year."

TEACHER: Ruby Beckon

Father Weikamp gave the bell for the school on the corner of Robinson and Vorce roads.

~ Wabmeme School ~
Picture
8 November 1924 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
25 August 1938 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Dorothy M. Krussell (02/19/1923 ~ 07/04/2016) "attended St. Franics Xavier Catholic School
through the 2nd grade and then the old Wabmeme School until graduating in 1937."

TEACHERS:
M. Francis Parker
Mrs. Stasia Robinson
(1937-38)

STUDENT:
​Daniel Joseph "Dan" Simon (1927-2023)


~ Warner School ~
Built on a low hill overlooking the old State Road which followed an Indian Trail
in a northwesterly direction from Harbor Springs.
The site at that time was the Dan Seymour property, later owned by Clyde LaCount.
Later Warner School had to be moved
​because the township road commission decided to lay out roads on section lines.
​West of State Road on LaCount Road...

(Voted to close September 1941 ~ Destroyed by fire in 1944)
(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 1 July 1951)
TEACHERS:
​Mrs. Frank (Carrie) Wagley (one of the school's first teachers)
Elizabeth Angell (1937-38)
Mrs. Edna Corey (1939)
Mrs. Charlotte Gridley
William Hurd

STUDENTS:
Georgia (Headley) Arndt ~ KG in 1925 or 1926
Ruth Olson
Hazel, Vernon, and Marian LaCount

Photo Below: Bob Bernhardt purchased the property where the school was located before the fire,
​with the Bernhardt Family continuing to own the property.


Picture
Photo ownership ~ Bob Bernhardt
Picture
Photo ownership ~ Linda Morse Coors
Photo Above; White X's all LaCount Children L>R: Hazel, Marian, and Vernon.
Click HERE to contact the web master to identify others in the photo above.

Picture
21 September 1944 ~ Emmet County Graphic

~ Whitaker/Whittaker School ~
Established in 1906
Friendship Township No. 4 on Stutsmanville Road
(Also known as Friendship Village)

(Annexed to Harbor Springs Schools 11 February 1954)
(Voted to close their eighth grade, and high school would ride bus starting September 1941)
​Later used as a hunting camp/cottage...

TEACHERS:
Mrs. Opal Eaton (1937-38)
Mrs. Bernice Kniesley (1939)
Mrs. Edna Babcock (1949)


~ Woodland School ~
Started in 1901

Click HERE to access a photo of Brutus School and the Woodland School.
Picture
23 December 1909 ~ Pellston Journal
TEACHERS:
Agnes Neiswander Gregory
Will Brown (1922)

Miss Gladys Lutz (1937-38)
Mrs. Ila Gregory


~ UNKNOWN SCHOOLS ~

Contact Webmaster with any information about these schools.

~ Was this a school? ~
Corner of Greenwood and Shanley Roads

Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick

Contact Webmaster with any school information by clicking HERE.
~ Unknown Name of Schools ~
Corner of Van and Pleasantview roads

Picture
April 2018 ~ Submitted by Dennis Jessick
~ Unknown School #2 ~
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection
A viewer has made e-mail contact thinking perhaps the photo above of the Unknown School #2 was the same school that was on the corner of Greg and Howard Roads, Petoskey. The 1987 photo below shows the school on Greg/Howard roads as it had been remodeled into a residence. The original school section certain looks like the same profile as the old school in the photo above. The name of the school is still unknown. Additional information is still welcomed by contacting this web master by clicking HERE.
Picture
1 December 1987 ~ Old School on corner of Howard and Greg Roads, Petoskey, Michigan
~ Unknown School #3 ~
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection

~ Pickerel Lake School ~
(Photo was labeled as "Pickerel Lake School February 1969")
Where was this school?

Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive collection from Petoskey newspapers (February 1969)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive collection from Petoskey newspapers (February 1969)
​TEACHER:
​Bruce T. Blanchard (possibly about 1932)

Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive collection from Petoskey newspapers (February 1969)

TOP

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.