Northern Mich~Mash Preserve
  • HOME
  • People
    • Chief Petoskey
    • Dr. Dean Burns Family
    • Al Gerhart
    • Siebert Family & The Russian Swamp
    • Trumbull White
  • Places
    • *Petoskey >
      • Businesses
      • "The Hole" "The Pit" "PDP"
      • "The Hole" ~ Second Coming?
      • Hotels
      • Mayors (& Presidents) of Petoskey
      • Michigan Maple Block Co
      • Mitchell Street was a Dead End
      • Parking
      • Parks & Recreation
      • Waterfront & Steamers/Ships
      • Winter Sports Parks
    • Advance
    • Alanson
    • Bay Harbor (Cement Plant)
    • Bay Shore
    • Bay View
    • Beaver Island
    • Bliss ~ Cross Village ~ Good Hart ~ Middle Village ~ Tunnel of Trees
    • Boyne City
    • Boyne Falls
    • Brutus
    • Carp Lake
    • Charlevoix
    • Conway ~ Oden ~ Ponshewaing (Crooked Lake)
    • East Jordan
    • Epsilon/Springvale Township
    • Harbor Springs
    • Horton Bay
    • Ironton
    • Kegomic
    • Levering
    • Mackinaw City >
      • Mackinac Bridge
    • Page
    • Pellston
    • Roaring Brook
    • Walloon Lake
    • Wequetonsing
  • PUBLICLY SPEAKING
    • Airports >
      • SRE/ARFF
    • Ambulance/EMS
    • Bay Bluffs
    • Bids & AECOM
    • BONDS
    • Budget
    • Crooked River and Lock
    • Elections
    • Emmet County Road Commission
    • Environment (Pipelines)
    • Fairgrounds
    • Health Department
    • Historical Commission
    • Housing >
      • Atkins Road
    • Tourism ~ Marketing & Boat Shows
    • NLEA
    • Organization
    • Parks and Recreation >
      • Forestry & Timber
      • Headlands
      • McGulpin Lighthouse
      • Petosega
      • Skillagalee Island
      • Waugoshance > White Shoal > Grays Reef
    • Personnel
    • Planning [?} the Future
    • Property (Wheelway)
    • Public Transit
    • Security & Records
    • Sheriff & Jail (Law) & Safety
    • Sloop Welcome
    • Taxes & Funds
    • Various
    • Wages
  • Things
    • ANSWERS & QUESTIONS
    • Area Airstrips and Pilots
    • Art & Authors
    • Bridges & Dams >
      • Lake Street Bridge ~ City Buildings Nearby
      • Lake Street Dam
      • McManus and/or Bridge Street Bridge
      • McManus Dam
      • MItchell Street Bridge
      • Mitchell Dam
      • Oden Island Bridge
      • Penstock Dam
      • Shaw & McMillan Hankey Dam and Cable Mills
      • Sheridan Street Bridge
      • Standish Avenue Bridge
    • Bypasses & Roadways
    • Changes Over Time
    • Churches
    • Clothing FASHION
    • Elements of Nature
    • Farms
    • Flora & Fauna
    • Food ~ Cooking Related
    • History Hanging in the Balance ~ Petoskey 1952 Centennial
    • Ice Sculptures
    • In The Air
    • Language Lore
    • Libraries
    • Little Traverse Bay Crucifix
    • Lines of Locals
    • Medical & Health
    • MISCELLANEOUS
    • Murals
    • Music
    • Old Houses
    • Places To Stay
    • Post Offices
    • Railroads
    • Schools >
      • Central and Gym
      • Harbor Springs
      • Holy Childhood of Jesus School
      • Lincoln
      • Melrose
      • NCMC
      • Normal School
      • Ottawa
      • Petoskey High/Jr/Middle
      • Resort
      • Sheridan
      • St. Francis
    • Signs & Window Displays
    • SOURCES *
    • Theatres
    • Vehicles & Bicycles
    • Water
    • Windmills
Northern Mich~Mash Preserve

~ HOLY CHILDHOOD OF JESUS SCHOOL ~
​(Mission School)

Located in Harbor Springs, Michigan

The design and compilation of the text and photos on this site are copyrighted 2017.
Please do not copy the photos on this site, many of which have been submitted by private individuals...
just come back and visit the site often to view the photos.



Picture
10 January 1906 ~ The Petoskey Record
Below Clockwise: Book Bindery, Printing Office, General Work Room, Girls' Dormitory, Carpenter Shop,
School Building and Church,​The Fourth Class, Shoe Shop
Picture
(Undated) HEADLIGHT, a periodical devoted to the interests of railroads and railroad centers photos accompanied article below...
Picture
(Undated) HEADLIGHT, a periodical devoted to the interests of railroads and railroad centers accompanied photos above...
14 February 1890 Photo Below:​ "View of Indian boys at work sawing wood on the school grounds."
 L>R: Bro. Eberhard O.S.F., Bro. Arnold O.S.F., Bro Novatus O.S.F. Teacher
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (14 February 1890)
14 February 1890 Photo Below:
"View of Catholic Indian Mission at Harbor Springs from the Bay."
Photo taken on the Steamer Thomas 
Friant...
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (14 February 1890)
Photo Below Labeled: "The Drill, Indian School, Harbor Springs, Mich."
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (Undated)
Click PLAY on the upper left corner of the main photo below to view the slideshow of school students. The photos were posted on the Greenwood Photo Archive website with most photos unidentified and undated except to be labeled: "Holy Childhood Indian School". 
Harbor Springs A collection of Historical Essays on page 41 has a section about "Schools" written by William Baker which included extensive information about the Indian Schools beginning with Father Peter DeJean who arrived in Harbor Springs permanently in May 1829. The school opened on 23 August 1829. The fascinating account also includes photos.
Photo/Postcard Below Labeled:
​"Municipal Dock, Boat House, Catholic Church and Mission School in Harbor Springs"
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo/Postcard Collection (Undated)
​2 July 1981 Harbor Light Centennial Edition ~


    Father Peter DeJean was sent to reside in the area permanently in May 1829. That summer, under his supervision, the Indians erected a church and a rectory that included a large schoolroom. The school opened on 23 August 1829 with two lay teachers–Joseph Letourneau and Elizabeth Williams. By the end of September the teachers had enrolled 13 day students and 25 boarders.
    While in operation, the instructors taught not only religion and the “Three R’s” but vocational classes as well–carpentry, gardening, cooking, housekeeping, bookbinding, printing and smithery.
    On 4 September 1884 the administration of the church was taken over by the Franciscan order. In 1885 the Franciscans reopened the school and by 1886 had erected a new three-story school building. Two other buildings were erected before the first brick building was built in 1913. A brick addition was completed in 1926. 
    Holy Childhood School was established to educate Indian children, but when white settlers moved to Harbor Springs the children of the parish also attended. Local children, both Indian and white, were referred to as “day students”. Indian students from outside the parish were the “boarders”. At the beginning of December 1886, the school had 64 boarders; the school census of 1970-71 listed 107 boarders, the most ever enrolled.
    In recent years the number of boarders has dropped sharply. Two factors brought about the decline; new welfare programs provided economic incentives to families who kept their children at home, and the number of boarding accommodations was reduced to 65 when the living quarters had to be moved from the third floor to the first floor to meet state safety requirements.
    Throughout most of its history, Holy Childhood School was financed primarily by the local church. The federal government provided some assistance, and the State of Michigan helped support the lunch program, but most of the money needed came from church fund-raising projects and contributions from summer residents.
    Public education began in Harbor Springs sometime during the second half of the nineteenth century. Exactly when is unclear. A government school, taught by Margaret Boyd (sister of Andrew J. Blackbird) is thought to have been established for the Indians as early as 1857. Will E. Hampton, in his unpublished memoirs of boyhood in Harbor Springs, said a small schoolhouse opened in the fall of 1875 on the north side of Third Street near Judd Street. Hampton also recorded the opening of the first graded school in the village in 1878.
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive from Postcard Collection (Undated)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive from Petoskey Newspapers (1906)
Picture
18 July 1902 ~ The Independent Democrat
Picture
10 January 1906 ~ The Petoskey Record... part of an article describing the rooms and teachings of the school
Picture
30 September 2013 ~ The Zorn memorial tombstone rests on the grounds of the Holy Childhood of Jesus Church.
1829
​The Holy Childhood of Jesus School was opened in 1829 (Photo Below).
It was, however, closed from 1839 until 1884, when it reopened. 
The School Sisters of Notre Dame began serving the school in 1886.
The boarding school closed in 1988; continuing as a day school, daycare center, and thrift shop.
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection
The church was built 54X30 feet on the present site of the Holy Childhood church, and a combination school and parsonage 46X20 feet of hewn logs. On the last Sunday of September, 1829, the chapel was dedicated to St. Peter, and the FiRST Mass said therein. Within a month after the opening of school 20 boys and 18 girls were enrolled and by the end of the year the enrollment had risen to 38 boys and 25 girls, of whom 38 were day students and 25 boarders. Father De Jean's record of their names with ages and dates of entrance is still preserved. It was printed in the "Anishinabe Enamiad" in 1898. A French teacher, Joseph L'Etornear (Letourneau?), was placed in charge of the school. The children were kept clean and taught good manners, along with the French language. In the spring each family gave one large mocock (a kind of box made of birch-bark) of maple sugar, which weighed from eighty to one hundred pounds. Father De Jean would empty the sugar into barrels and then go down to Detroit with it to buy dry goods returning with cloth for his Indian children.~ December 1949 The Emmet County Graphic

With the course of time, the number of pupils increased, so the buildings were enlarged and remodeled. Thus, in 1893, the Globe Hotel was purchased and converted into a dormitory for the smaller boys, a laundry and several workshops. A dormitory for the larger boys also was built; likewise workshops for the various trades then introduced and taught by competent teachers, such as shoemaking, carpentering, and printing. In 1907, the building containing the present quarters for the boys was erected, steam heating was installed, and other improvements made.

During the first two years of its existence, the school was conducted at the expense of the missionaries and of the Sisters, the Indians paying nothing. In the summer of 1888, a contract was obtained from the government for the education, clothing and boarding of seventy-five children at $108 per child a year. Later on a contract was made for 100 children, although the actual attendance was usually almost twice that number. These appropriations continued until 1896, when Congress, giving way to the enemies of the Catholic schools, cut down the allowances of all contract schools to one-half. Since 1900, when all income from this source was taken away, the institution has been depending on the assistance of the Catholic Indian Bureau, and on the charity of friends, notable Mother Catherine Drexel.

In spite of the hardships caused by the lack of means, the missionaries and the Sisters have, since 1886, educated, clothed, and boarded about 3540 children on the Ottawa, Chippewa, and Pottawatomie tribes, that is, on an average about 135 children a year. Besides these, about 900 day pupils, mostly whites, attended the schools. The course of studies is the same as that of the common schools, fads and frills, of course, being wisely omitted... ~ Holy Childhood Mission School Franciscan Herald (1914)

​Photo Below
: Harbor Springs Holy Childhood Catholic Church and School...
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
Picture
"Indian School, Harbor Springs, Michigan" Postcard ~ From the personal scrapbook of Howardine (Wood) Bush Plumb
Photo Below: The building at the far right was the Star Hotel.
Picture
Little Traverse Historical Society Photo Collection (Undated)
1913 Article Below: Petoskey men got the contract to build a new Catholic School in Harbor Springs in 1913. The old building already had begun to be razed. The new building was to have three stories and the outside walls were to be pressed brick, with the interior work of this nature to have Petoskey brick.
Picture
5 June 1913 ~ The Petoskey Record
1914
The photo below was included in a Franciscan article telling: "The 14th of May, 1914, will ever be a red-letter day in the history of the Holy Childhood of Jesus Mission School for Ottawa Indians, Harbor Springs, Michigan. For, that day marked another step forward in the work of charity and education so unpretentiously and courageously begun twenty-eight years ago: the solemn dedication of the new substantial central building of the mission school... the new  structure built of pressed, water-proof brick is 90 by 52 feet... The basement contains two large rooms that serve as play halls. In another room are a heater and two storage boilers, which supply the institution with hot water. Water for all purposes is pumped from the flowing wells on the grounds to an elevated tank, and in case of need can also be obtained from the municipal plant. On the first floor, are two magnificent classrooms, one for the Sisters, and another for the children. In the latter, are twenty tables, ten on each side. On the second floor, are living and working rooms for the girls, and the neatly furnished chapel with a seating capacity of 150. On the third floor are two large dormitories for the girls, wardrobes, lavatories, and bath rooms. Toilet rooms arranged in a most sanitary manner are on all three floors. The whole building is lighted by electricity, and heated by steam, and has fire protection on each floor. 
Picture
Holy Childhood School and Church ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1988)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (14 May 1914)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (Undated)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (Undated)
1936 Clipping Below:
The pupils of Holy Childhood School would present their annual Christmas program with
​the main feature a two-act colonial play "At Hiawatha's Christmas Tea." 
Picture
The Graphic
1937
Picture
1 April 1937 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
8 April 1937 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
22 April 1937 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
29 April 1937 ~ Emmet County Graphic
1938
Picture
28 July 1938 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
Below: Fred Ettawageshik
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (Undated)
Picture
17 August 1939 ~ Emmet County Graphic
1948
Picture
29 January 1948 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
Picture
11 November 1948 ~ The Petoskey Evening News
Picture
15 November 1948 ~ The Petoskey Evening News
1949
Picture
6 January 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
8 December 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
3 November 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
17 November 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
8 December 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
15 December 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
15 December 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
22 December 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
29 December 1949 ~ Emmet County Graphic
1950
Picture
12 January 1950 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
19 January 1950 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
Headline for article below... 19 January 1950 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
19 January 1950 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
2 March 1950 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
18 May 1950 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (7 December 1950)
1950 Photo Above and Photo/Text Below:
Sister Cleomena had taught the Indian handicraft class for 18 years.
Picture
7 December 1950 ~ Northern Michigan Review
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (7 December 1950)
Picture
29 June 1950 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
The following 1950 Petoskey Evening News articles seem to have been COPIED from the 1937 articles from the Emmet County Graphic; and thus not all 1950 articles have been copied and included on this web page. 
Picture
10 July 1950 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
13 July 1950 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
15 July 1950 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Photo/Text Below:
​An explanation for Holy Childhood Church and School standing at the head of Main Street...
Picture
18 July 1950 ~ Petoskey Evening News article below continued from photo/text above...
Picture
18 July 1950 ~ Petoskey Evening News photo/text continued with article below...
Picture
21 December 1950 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
Picture
Greenwood Postcard Archive Ball Collection
1951
Picture
1951 ~ Emmet County Graphic
1952
Picture
10 July 1952 ~ Emmet County Graphic
1954 >
The Back View of Holy Childhood School
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (November 1954)
1954 < 1960
Another Back view Photo of Holy Childhood School ~ Compare to 1954 Back View Above...
Picture
10 September 1960 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
4 November 1954 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
Picture
15 December 1954 ~ Petoskey Evening News
Picture
27 December 1954 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
18 December 1954 ~ Petoskey Evening News

1955 
Picture
6 January 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
18 January 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
12 March 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
5 April 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
17 June 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
25 October 1955 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
9 November 1955~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
1955 ~ The Graphic
Picture
1955 ~ The Graphic

1956
Picture
7 April 1956 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
13 JUne 1956 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
13 September 1956 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
Picture
1 November 1956 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
16 November 1956 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
22 November 1956 ~ The Emmet County Graphic
Picture
6 December 1956 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
21 December 1956 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
27 DEcember 1856 ~ Emmet County Graphic

1957
Picture
13 February 1957 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
14 February 1957 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
2 May 1957 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
18 July 1957 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
12 August 1957 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
29 August 1957 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
24 September 1957 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
24 October 1857 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
31 October 1957 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
14 November 1957 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
5 December 1957 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
19 December 1957 ~ Petoskey News Review

1958
Picture
2 June 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
11 June 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo/Text Below: Sister Superior Mary Cassiani and Father Ewald Oswald,
​try to balance their meager and unstable budget.
Picture
10 July 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo/Text Below: Many children in awe of rows of white enameled beds when viewing the first time; each girl having own bed and a doll to snuggle.
Picture
10 July 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo/Text Below Left: Daily routine included training in the Catholic Faith, and worship in the school's chapel.
Photo/Text Below Right: Sister Mary Onesima Joseah, an East Jordan native, as an Ottawa Indian child, was taken in at the Holy Childhood School. Upon graduation, she expresssed her faith and appreciation to her benefactors by entering the convent, later returning to the school as a Nun where she devoted the previous 29 years to the physical and spiratual welfare of other Indian children.

Picture
10 July 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
10 July 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo/Text Below: Sister Mary Caspard worked in the school's gardens, having served at Holy Childhood for the previous 30 years, in addition to her duries as gardener, she canned fruits and vegetables for the long winter months, did the mending and all of the baking, including hundred of loaves of bread.
Picture
10 July 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo/Text Below: Sister Superior Mary Cassiani and Father Ewald inspected an array of children's handiwork which included aprons, laundry bags, pot holders, and Indian moccasins. The Sisters also do embroidery, crocheting and sewing for bazaar items. Teaching Arts and Crafts and Sewing serves a dual purpose in preparing students for roles as homemakers, and porducing articles that are sold to help finance the school.
Picture
10 July 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
2 September 1958 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
October 1958 ~ Section of Summary of Albert Shanaquet's Life Story
Picture
11 September 1958 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
11 December 1958 ~ Emmet County Graphic

1959 
Picture
1 January 1959 ~ Emet County Graphic
Picture
8 January 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
22 January 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
30 January 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
12 February 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
19 February 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
1 April 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
9 April 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
13 April 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
21 May 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
12 September 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review Headline for article and photos below; Full page tribute to Holy Childhood School...
Picture
12 September 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review article accompanied the photos/text below...
Picture
12 September 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review photos/text accompanied the photos/text below...
Picture
12 September 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review photos/text accompanied the photos/text below...
Picture
12 September 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review photos/text accompanied the photo/text below...
Picture
12 September 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review photo/text accompanied those above...
Engagement announcement below revealed Mary Louise Hoffman attended Holy Childhood School
and graduated from Harbor Springs High School.
Picture
12 October 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
7 November 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
18 November 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
19 November 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
10 December 1959 ~ Emmet County Graphic
Picture
11 DEcember 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photos/Text Below: "Holy Childhood School is the only boarding school for
​underprivileged Indian Children in the United States that is not located on a reservation."
Picture
21 December 1959 ~ Petoskey News Review

1960 
Antiquated Convent Houses 16 Nuns
Who Shelter Needy Indian Children
Picture
16 and 19 September 1960 Petoskey News Review article continued below...
Picture
16 and 19 September 1960 Petoskey News Review photo/text continued from article above...
1962
​Tearing down a Harbor Springs Landmark
Old Frame Convent of the Notre Dame Sisters had been the Star Hotel in 1884.
Picture
16 and 19 September 1960 Petoskey News Review photo/text continued from photo/text and article above...

Picture
21 June 1962 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
29 September 1962 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
1962 Spring ~The School Sister article continued below...
Picture
1962 Spring The School Sister article continued from above...
Picture
1966 July 20-26 ~ Harbor Lite

1963 
Winter Fun Outside
Picture
24 February 1963 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive (24 February 1963)
Picture
24 February 1963 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
24 February 1963 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
24 February 1963 ~ Petoskey News Review
Holy Childhood New Convent
1963
Picture
27 July 1963 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive (19 July 1963)
Holy Childhood 
December 1963

Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive (December 1963)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive (December 1963)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive (December 1963)

1964
Picture
20 July 1964 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
18 August 1964 ~ Petoskey News Review
Below: Brother Bernardin Kuenzel, the shoemaker... served Holy Childhood for 57-58 years.
Picture
21 July 1964 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
21 July 1964 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
9 June 1965 ~ Petoskey News Review

1965
Article Below:
​Susie Shagonaby, a descendent of three Indian chiefs attended Holy Childhood School and then graduated Harbor Springs High School in 1927. Susie lived and witnessed the value of education.
Picture
28 July > 3 August 1965 ~ The Harbor-Lite

​Photo/Text Below: Noted that "Holy Childhood School which has operated since 1829 is the only boarding school for underprivileged Indian children in the U.S. which is not located on a reservation. It does not receive state or federal aid, operates on a budget of contributions."
Picture
28 September 1965 ~ Petoskey News Review

1966
July 1966 Harbor-LIte Article Below: Wanda Rose Hughey, 8, died when struck by a car
​on Main Street, Harbor Springs. She would have entered third grade at Holy Childhood School that fall. 
Picture
20-26 July 1966 ~ Harbor Lite
Picture
27 August 1966 ~ Petoskey News Review

1968
Picture
2 December 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
10 December 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
16 December 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review
Article Below Left: The observance of Christmas at the Holy Childhood Schools
​holds the continuous record for any location in Emmet County on the same grounds.
Article Below Right: Holy Childhoo school presented program;
109 pupils living at the schoo with slightly under 100 day pupils.

Picture
17 December 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
20 December 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
23 December 1968 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
25 >31 December 1968 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
5 December 1968 ~ Straitsland Resorter

1969
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection (April 1969)
Picture
16 > 22 April 1969 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
14 > 20 May 1969 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
5 May 1969 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photos/Text Below: Holy Childhood students learned dances from various cultures to perform during University of Michigan's "Spring Songfest".
Picture
7 May 1969 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
20 May 1969 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
26 May 1969 ~ Petoskey News Review

1970
Picture
1 June 1970 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo/Text Below:
​Twin Sisters, Sisters Rose Andre and Marie Eugene, prepared an exhibit at the county fair.
Picture
20 August 1970 ~ Petoskey News Review

1977
Picture
8 December 1977 ~ Petoskey News Review

1978
Picture
Picture
20 July 1978 ~ The Graphic
Picture
29 November 1978 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
4 December 1978 ~ Petoskey News Review

1979
Picture
21 February 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
6 March 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review
Clipping Below:
​Char-Em accepted the resignation of Social Worker
Picture
16 June 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review

Local historian William H. Ohle wrote the 1979 Graphic article titled “Religion goes many directions” from which the section regarding Holy Childhood is posted below. Ohle noted “A remarkable fact is that to this day the school has been maintained solely by private donation and free-will offerings. At times there have been as many as 190 boarders. Remarkable, too, is the fact that, except for a brief period, from 1888-1890, when the government paid the teachers $175 per year, both Sisters and Fathers have given their service gratis. It is fitting that the church and shrine are officially state historic sites.”
Picture
23 July 1979 ~ Graphic article continued below...
Picture
23 July 1979 ~ Graphic article continued from above...

Picture
10 September 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
24 September 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
26 October 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
29 October 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
20 November 1979 ~ Petoskey News Review

20 November 1979 Petoskey News Review reported "Holy Childhood in Harbor Springs lost 15 students this year, partly because of a decision to discontinue seventh and eighth grade classes because of small enrollments."

1983
In the summer of 1983, the boarding school for Native Americans was closed. During the Indian Boarding School's last year of operation, 15 Indian families from Michigan were represented in the enrollment. In the 1950s, the school had as many as 150 boarding students adding to its 250-300 pupil enrollment.

1985
Picture
8 February 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review

Article Below: “A recent Michigan Supreme Court ruling that public schools must provide band, art and other ‘non-essential’ classes to parochial school students will have little effect on Northern MIchigan schools.”… "Harbor Springs Public School Superintendent Jerome Allore said he doesn’t see any negative effect if Holy Childhood students were to take non-essential courses in the public school system. ‘I see no problem at the present time,’ he said, adding Holy Childhood only goes up to eighth grade.’” The two schools presently shared Chapter I, which provided special reading and math assistance. Allore stated that if desiring help, Holy Childhood students have every right to the classes, too.
Picture
cbelow...
Picture
18 February 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review article continued from above...

The 3 April 1985 Petoskey News Review reported that Harbor Springs' Joe Jezisek, then 62, taught band for 33 !/2 years at Harbor Springs High School and for 15 years also taught at Shay Elementary and Holy Childhood School."
Picture
14 August 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
29 April 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
29 May 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review... two article sections, each continued below...
Picture
29 May 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review... two article sections, each continued from above...
Picture
6 June 1985 ~ The Graphic (Section of the entire article as related to Holy Childhood School reference)
1985 Announcement Below:
​Newly wed Karen M. McKInney Orlins was the principal at Harbor Springs' Holy Childhood School.
Picture
6 June 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
11 July 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
10 October 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
2 October 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photo/Text Below: The symbolized banner was designed by Wendy, the daughter of Beverly and Robert Wemigwases; with Wendy being the fifth generation of of the Wemigwase family to attend Holy Childhood School.
Picture
23 October 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
29 October 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
27 November 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
9 December 1985 ~ Petoskey News Review

1886
Louis P. Chingwa attended Holy Childhood School and also the Indian School in Flandreau, South Dakota.
Picture
8 January 1986 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
5 > 11 February 1986 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
9 > 15 April 1986 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
4 September 1986 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
14 October 1986 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
7 November 1986 ~ Petoskey News Review

1987
Picture
29 January 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
5 February 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
4 > 10 February 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
11 February 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
25 February > 3 March 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
11 February 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
17 February 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
4 >10 March 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
18 > 24 February 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
18 February 1987 ~Petoskey News Review
Picture
20 February 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
24 February 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
6 March 1987 ~ Petoskey New Review article continued below...
Picture
6 March 1987 ~ Petoskey New Review article continued from above...
Picture
9 March 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
11 March 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
3 > 11 March 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
18 > 24 March 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
15 > 21 April 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Article/Photo Below: Suzie Kiogima Shagonaby attended Holy Childhood School through the eighth grade and then graduated from Harbor Springs High School. Interestingly, following graduation, Suzie desired to continue with her education and applied to the Indian Institute in Kansas for financial aid. The scholarship was refused on the grounds Suzie never had attended any federally funded Indian School. 
Picture
16 March 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review article continued below under the photo...
Picture
16 March 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review article continued from above the above photo...
Picture
17 April 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
28 April 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
17 June 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
17 June 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Article Above: Colin Misner's Eagle Scout project was "to catalog, photograph, and collect in a binder information about all the Indian artifacts remaining at Holy Childhood School."
​
Obituary Below: Alice Blackbird Francis attended Holy Childhood School & Mt. Pleasant Indian School.

Picture
10 July 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
2 > 8 September 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
13 November 1987 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
2 > 8 December 1987 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
9 > 15 December 1987 ~ Harbor Light

Picture
Holy Childhood School and Church ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (Undated)
Picture
Holy Childhood School and Church ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1988)
Picture
Holy Childhood School and Church ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1988)
Picture
Holy Childhood School and Church ~ Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (1988)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey Newspaper (Undated)

1988
Picture
20 > 26 April 1988 ~ Harbor Light
Picture
19 April 1988 ~ Petoskey News Review
Picture
21 April 1988 ~ Petoskey News Review
In the early months of 1988, pancake breakfasts to benefit Holy Childhood School were being held.
An 18 May 1988 Harbor Light article reported, "Tight School Budget Forecast" for Harbor Springs Public School. "The Holy Childhood School will close after this year bringing anywhere from 27 to 40 more elementary students into the system. There are currently 847 pupils in the entire Harbor Springs Public Scool system. The influx of students from Holy Childhoowd will mean all four of the newly constructed classrooms will be put to use. Initiallly two of the rooms had been planned for classes, one for counseling, leaving the fourth for future use. The future arrived sooner than expected. Where a need for only one new elementary teacher had been projected, it now seems a total of three will have to be hired."
Picture
12 May 1988 ~ Petoskey News Review article continued below...
Picture
12 May 1988 ~ Petoskey News Review article continued from above...

​Perspective Below from an Attendee for Closing a Landmark:
Previous Holy Childhood School attendee for 8 years of his Harbor Springs life, lamented the closing of his school...
"Many of will remember a living community brimming with kids our own age, running, laughing, playing, fighting, and, if the nuns worked their wonders, learning together."


Picture
13 May 1988 ~ Petoskey News Review
Article Below: The Holy Childhood Day Care Developmental Center continued to be housed
​in the former Holy Childhood School building, but was an entirely separate entity from the closed school.
The Dyslexia Resource Center also continued to use the former Holy Childhood School building,
as well as the building space being used for a regular meeting area for Alcoholics Anonymous.
Picture
27 July 1988 ~ Petoskey News Review
Article Below: "Although the Holy Childhood elementary school had closed,
​the pre-school program still was to be held in the morning and kindergarten in the afternoon.
Picture
25 August 1988 ~ Petoskey News Review
Photos Below: Photographer Karla Buckmaster
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
20 July 2007 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus School, Harbor Springs, Michigan
Picture
15 November 2007 ~ Petoskey News Review
Below: Fred Kiogima stated he had joined the Marine Corps for 23 years and felt he had done well there because Fred's dad had been a WWII veteran, but also because Fred had been "shaped by the strict nature of Holy Childhood Boarding School."
Picture
14 November 2014 ~ Petoskey News Review

~ Holy Childhood of Jesus Church ~
Picture
16 December 1884 ~ The Northern Independent
2013
Picture
30 September 2013 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus Church (Notice same preserved brick entrance as in photo above)
Picture
30 September 2013 ~ Holy Childhood of Jesus Church
2018
Picture
8 February 2018 ~ Posted only by Permission from Drone Photographer Charles Dawley, Up North Imaging
Photo Above: More of Charles Dawley's remarkable videos and photography can be viewed on
Drone Photography from Charles Dawley "Up North Imaging".

Photo Below:
A. Eberhard, Br. Arnold, Br. Novatus (?), Rev A. Servatias (?), Sr. Superior, Sr. Winfriede (?), Sr. Clementine
"View of all the Indian Boys and Girls, with their teachers and front view of the school house."
Harbor Springs, Mich 14 February 1890
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (14 February 1890)
Picture
Greenwood Photo Archive Collection from Petoskey newspapers (Undated)
2025

​Below Photo/Text: An upcoming 14 November 2025 presentation of "System of Assimilation – The Indian Boarding Schools" was announced in October 2025. The presentation description below seems "slanted" and quite inaccurate for Harbor Spings' Holy Childhood of Jesus School, featured as an Indian Industrial School, opening 23 August 1829, and originally created by the Franciscan Fathers and the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Harbor Springs' Holy Childhood school originally was not created, funded, nor mandated by the United States. White children, as well as Indian children, attended the classes as "day students' with Indian students from outside the parish as "boarders". It was not until 1888 when the numbers of attendees had grown and the buildings were enlarged with various improvements year after year, that the school could no longer be conducted at the expense of the missionaries. Then, a Government contract was obtained for the education, clothing, and boarding of 75 Indian children; with later appropriations for 100 children, with Commissioner Morgan, reducing that number to 95; this allowance was granted until July 1896, then reduced to 50 percent by Congress, and after 1898 the allowance ceased altogether. Throughout most of its history, Holy Childhood School was financed primarily by the local church. The federal government provided some assistance, and the State of Michigan helped support the lunch program, but most of the money needed came from church fund-raising projects and contributions from summer residents.
Picture
October 2025 ~ Advertisement for a presentation about the former Holy Childhood of Jesus School
Picture
24 > 30 December 2025 ~ Harbor Light
Ron French has written a 21 January 2026 article for Bridge Michigan giving an UPDATE regarding the investigations into the Native American boarding schools. Click HERE to access the article titled "Michigan spent $1.1M probing tribal boarding schools, then buried the results".

Click HERE to access additional information about the
History of Harbor Springs Catholic church and school, presented from
​the Wayne Richard Smith Collection as posted on the Greenwood History Archive website.

Holy Childhood Church of Jesus Cemetery
West Section Established 1898
In Loving Memory of Those Who Rest in Unmarked Graves

Picture

TOP

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.